Total Rewards Manager
La Jolla, CA
Job posting number: #7111135 (Ref:spd-2198830)
Posted: September 20, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Sanford Burnham Prebys is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health. Join us in beautiful La Jolla, California!
The Total Rewards Manager responsible for designing, planning and implementing benefits and employee wellness activities, policies and procedure, including but not limited to, health and welfare plans and retirement plan. Create engaging employee benefit communications and design innovative ways to inform employees and encourage participation in benefit programs. Interpret policies, procedures, and regulations, audit and analyze data, determine benefit eligibility. Manage ongoing benefit enrollment, including benefit orientations and annual open enrollment. Ensure programs are competitive, equitable, and meeting employee needs while supporting the Institute’s strategic objectives.
Essential Functions And Key Responsibilities
Health and Welfare Benefits
- Administer all company benefit programs and related processes to ensure benefit programs are effective, efficient, compliant, and in alignment with the overall business strategies and objectives
- Develop and oversee a Benefits Communication Strategy
- Manage vendor relationships to ensure regular, clear communication and appropriate benefit administration and support of employees
- Respond to employee inquiries related to benefit plans and programs
- Coordinate with benefit plan vendors to resolve administration and escalated employee issues
- Manage the Open Enrollment process
- Provide ongoing employee benefit orientation and manage enrollment process
- Create, implement, and manage open enrollment each year, including collaboration on plan design (internally and externally), and open enrollment communication concept and execution
- Collaborate with health and welfare broker in support of benefit plan administration, review, and design
- Measure effectiveness of existing benefits programs, including utilization, employee impact, and cost. Based on analysis, provide recommendations, collaborate with stakeholders, and implement any new offerings.
- Support the plan design process by understanding benefit options to ensure competitiveness in the market landscape, considering employee experience, impact, and cost implications
- Responsible for continuous improvement and operational efficiencies
- Develops compensation programs to attract and retain employees
- Manages annual compensation planning cycle
- Consults with managers and human resources partners regarding compensation
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local legal requirements by staying up to date on existing and new legislation, utilizing outside legal and other professional vendors
- Responsible for compliance testing and reporting for benefit and retirement plans, including discrimination testing and 5500 filings
- Review and audit employee benefit data between vendor and SBP records to ensure accuracy
- Workers’ Compensation oversight, including Log 300 reporting and other associated documentation
- COVID-19 compliance and management, including contact tracing.
- Administer retirement plans ensuring compliance in all areas, including employee and employer match contributions, loan administration, committee meetings, employee education
- Member of Retirement Plan Committee
- Participate in benefit surveys to benchmark benefit plan design
- Maintains files and records for various benefit programs
- Receive and track benefit invoices, process payments with A/P
- Oversee employee engagement and recognition
- Coordinate the management of the Leave Donation Program
Leaves of Absence
- Oversee the coordination of Leaves of Absence including designation of leaves, employee communication and wage coordination.
- Engage in the interactive process and employee accommodations per ADA.
Education, Training, Professional Certification And Work Experience
- 7+ years of benefits management experience in mid-sized, fast paced corporate environment required.
- Experience using HR system for benefit administration and ACA reporting required
- 2+ years’ experience writing engaging and informative employee benefit communications
- Experience updating company intranet preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field preferred
Knowledge And Skills Requirements
- Well versed in regulatory compliance, with working knowledge of applicable state and federal benefit laws and regulations including, but not limited to, ERISA, IRS, DOL, HIPAA, GINA, COBRA, FMLA, and Health Care Reform
- Outstanding judgment and ethical standards. Ability to hold and maintain confidential information.
- Ability to interface with all levels of the company in providing benefit support, often on confidential, highly sensitive matters
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, required. Ability to clearly present complex information to all audiences.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook). Ability to analyze and work with large data sets.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate cross functionally and influence outcomes
Work Environment / Physical Requirements
- Primarily office environment, heavy computer use
- Light physical effort equal to frequent lifting or moving of lightweight materials (25 lbs)
- Required to sit, stand, bend and reach.
The scientists at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute are making research breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology, and children’s disease. We are also at the forefront of finding solutions for health threats such as COVID-19, where we are working to identify drugs that may help millions of people. During our more than 40 year history, we have established an NCI-designated Cancer Center, designed one of the most sophisticated drug discovery centers in the nonprofit world, and created global collaborations that are leading to preventions, treatments and cures to improve human health.
Sanford Burnham and Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an equal opportunity employer. M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designation by federal, state or local law