Patient Access Representative III (Research)
Job posting number: #7111507 (Ref:10017846)
Posted: September 23, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope’s translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope’s specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation’s “Best Hospitals” in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.
City of Hope’s commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.
The Patient Access Representative III is responsible for the check-in and check-out of patients on behalf of medical group physicians and other licensed providers. This role requires a high level of independent judgement in order to successfully coordinate the scheduling of patient appointments across multiple hospital departments. This individual is expected to utilize telecommunications and computer information systems to create accounts, verify information and insurance, collect co-pays, schedule and re-schedule complex appointments. The Patient Access Representative III is best defined as a highly independent and flexible resource that focuses on system-specific service lines that are in alignment with the patient experience initiative. Furthermore, this role must multi-task between different patient care areas to ensure an extraordinary patient experience and that quality standards are met. Additional duties include, but are not limited to: physician to patient communication and serving as an information resource.
Key Responsibilities include:
Registration and Scheduling:
- Demonstrates an in-depth understanding of the flow of the patient registration and scheduling process within the paper and electronic environments. Registers, pre-registers, consents and schedule all patient appointment types, across the clinics, ancillary areas and hospital. Creates pre-registration record and links pre-registration record to scheduled appointments. Proactively coordinates appointments with other functional areas. Maintains department productivity, accuracy, and quality assurance standards while performing these duties. Ensures data is entered accurately for all patient demographic and insurance information. Completes all required legal documents, and obtains and scans all other related documents. Performs cash collection functions, patient pricing estimates, ETC admission.
- Ensures that financial protocols and requirements are met while providing access to service at COH facilities by reviewing account documentation. Maintains and applies current knowledge of insurance requirements when verifying eligibility and confirms authorization is secured prior to forwarding patients to service delivery areas; escalates unsecure financial accounts to management. Provides patient with itineraries, advance beneficiary notice and written instructions for tests and procedures as applicable. Seeks assistance from Financial Counselors when needed to maintain patient flow while resolving financial issues and ensuring financial clearance of account. Provides information and assistance to patients to ensure they understand the Financial Assistance policy and application process. Provides Financial Assistance applications to all uninsured patients. Screens ordered tests and communicate to physician and/or ABN Specialist those tests and/or diagnoses that do not meet criteria to be covered by Medicare
- Assures that the correct pre-registration visit encounter type is linked to the scheduled appointment. Creates a request for authorization of service if applicable. Sends orders for diagnostic tests to appropriate department. Assures that documentation indicating the date of service and the visit number accompanies the orders for diagnostic testing.
- Ensure a high level of customer service by greeting, being a resource to patients and visitors. Serve as a liaison between patients and support staff. Develop effective relationships with colleague, physicians, providers, leaders and other employees across the organization. Demonstrates genuine interest in helping our patients, providers and other employees by using excellent communication skills, being polite, friendly, patient and calm under pressure.
- Managing multiple, changing priorities in an effective and organized manger, under stressful demand while maintaining exceptional service. Maintain composure when dealing with difficult situations and responding professionally. Independently recognize a high priority situation, taking appropriate and immediate action. Effectively communicates with service delivery and other departments to resolve issues that impact patient care and escalating issues that cannot be resolved in accordance with departmental guidelines.
- Maintains appropriate level of productivity and accuracy for work performed based on department standards. Maintains thorough knowledge of policies, procedures, and standard work within the department in order to successfully performance duties on a day-to-day basis.
- Performs other departmental duties as assigned, such as answering and making phone calls, managing incoming/outgoing faxes, organizing and filing departmental documents, inventorying supplies, data entry, etc.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- High School or equivalent
- Two years related experience registering and scheduling complex patient appointments in a clinic or hospital setting.
- Medical terminology experience required
Preferred education experience and skills:
- At least two years front desk oncology practice experience.
- EPIC electronic medical record experience preferred.
- As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
- This position is represented by a collective bargaining agreement
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
City of Hope is a community of people characterized by our diversity of thought, background and approach, but tied together by our commitment to care for and cure those with cancer and other life-threatening diseases. The innovation that our diversity produces in the areas of research, treatment, philanthropy and education has made us national leaders in this fight. Our unique and diverse workforce provides us the ability to understand our patients' needs, deliver compassionate care and continue the quest for a cure for life-threatening diseases. At City of Hope, diversity and inclusion is a core value at the heart of our mission. We strive to create an inclusive workplace environment that engages all of our employees and provides them with opportunities to develop and grow, both personally and professionally. Each day brings an opportunity to strengthen our work, leverage our different perspectives and improve our patients’ experiences by learning from others. Diversity and inclusion is about much more than policies and campaigns. It is an integral part of who we are as an institution, how we operate and how we see our future.