Job posting number: #7070360 (Ref:JAX28011)
Posted: September 28, 2020
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
As a full-time Systems Analyst at The Jackson Laboratory, you will be part of an organization whose IT technologies are as exciting and progressive as our science. We are currently looking for motivated individuals who will work with our computational scientists, research software engineers, system administrators, and other Research IT staff to plan, design and launch efficient systems in support of scientific research functions and processes. This includes gathering data and documenting processes and requirements to help maximize Research IT systems investments.
- Based on the scientific needs of the community, identify, and recommend innovative solutions, and integrated proposals for server, storage, and network systems, including hardware and software acquisition, installation, and administration.
- Install and update scientific and research applications in JAX compute environment, document system changes, write and maintain documentation for end users.
- Investigate application issues, document findings: communicate with scientists to answer questions, troubleshoot problems and develop appropriate computational strategies to process and analyze their data.
- Benchmark application, pipelines and workflow performance, and determine areas for improved efficiencies.
- Create system design proposals: Stay current with new trends and emerging information technologies and informatics tools, advocate for and lead the adoption of these technologies at JAX. Provide guidance, support, training and advice in Research IT systems to JAX scientists. Develop and deliver training programs, tutorials and workshops for scientists on the optimal use of Research IT resources in their research projects. Research and evaluate new products and services for applicability to in-house needs. Consult and collaborate with system administrator coworkers to determine best system configurations for applications. Provide technical support internally and to external vendors including problem resolution for complex systems and storage solutions. Help integrate Research IT resources with laboratory equipment.
- Master’s degree with 5 years’ or PhD with 3 years’ experience in relevant area of data processing and analysis.
- Life sciences research background; hands-on experience with a broad spectrum of biological data collection, processing, and analysis (for example: genomics, bioinformatics, next-generation sequencing, microscopy, imaging).
- Ability to develop, recommend and execute solutions to complex problems often under time constraints
- Expertise with Unix/Linux systems, shell scripting, C/C++ programming, Python/Perl and other relevant tools.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- A positive attitude and the ability to perform successfully in a fast-paced environment
- Able to work independently, and as part of a team.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationship with scientists at all levels
- Ability to handle multiple tasks/projects at the same time and complete projects successfully and on-time
- Advanced interpersonal skills sufficient for developing complex, dynamic relationship with a diverse variety of individuals representing a broad cross section of cultures, disciplines and levels of sophistication
- Work closely with scientists to ensure that applications and Research IT services are current, appropriate and sufficient to serve their needs.
Now imagine yourself with all the excitement of a start-up company coupled with the stability and support of a well-respected and established organization.
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with more than 2,200 employees. Headquartered in Bar Harbor, Maine, it has a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center, a genomic medicine institute in Farmington, Conn., and facilities in Ellsworth, Maine, Sacramento, Calif., and Shanghai, China. Its mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
JAX Genomic Medicine is transforming medicine by improving patient care, lowering costs, and increasing life span and health span. JAX Genomic Medicine’s research focuses on the complex genetic causes of disease and on the development of genomic solutions tailored to each person's unique genetic makeup.
JAX Genomic Medicine sits on a 17-acre site on the campus of the University of Connecticut Health Center. The 183,500-square-foot facility opened in the fall of 2014. Now, it houses over 300 biomedical researchers, technicians, and support staff in state-of-the-art computing facilities and laboratories.
In Connecticut, JAX resides in the scenic town of Farmington, in the state’s capitol region. The Hartford region, which offers some of the best public schools in the country, is made up of both bigger cities and smaller, charming historic New England towns. JAX Genomic Medicine is also geographically located within 2 hours of Boston and New York and is close to multiple transportation systems, including bus lines, highways, railroads and international airports.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY - Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE - Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM - Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE - Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION - Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP - Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement including an MBA program. Our campus offers a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program and an onsite full service cafeteria.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about career opportunities at JAX: http://www.jax.org/careers.