RS Technician/RS Technologist/RS Senior Technologist
Bar Harbor, ME
Job posting number: #7070882 (Ref:JAX28012)
Posted: October 12, 2020
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Reproductive Sciences (RS) has an immediate opening for a full-time RS Technician/RS Technologist/RS Senior Technologist. The primary assignment for this individual will be in the RS Biobank with assignments in other areas of RS as needed.
Reproductive Sciences provides services to internal and external customers to help manage mouse colonies. Using assisted reproductive technologies, RS offers services such as cryopreservation, rederivation, strain rescue, and colony expansion. The RS Lab team manages a collection of over 3 million embryos and .5 million sperm samples for public and private strains. This includes maintaining samples in inventory, retrieving samples to fulfill orders, shipping samples and performing quality controls steps.
- Adheres to SOP, policies and procedures. Maintains work environment by cleaning, organizing and supplying their work space and areas within the department.
- Follows instructions to learn and complete tasks. With time, recognizes when deviations occur and enters into the ETQ deviation database.
- Performs basic data entry into systems used in RS (CryoDB, Axapta, Sharepoint, ETQ, Outlook).
- Operates equipment in the assigned area. This may include microscopes, incubators, liquid nitrogen handling vessels, etc.
- Locate, store, retrieve, transport, and ship biological and non-biological samples in the form of tissues, embryos, embryonic stem cells, sperm and media while maintaining the integrity of the sample(s).
- Monitor and operate biobank equipment.
- Manage lab supply inventory, prepare reagents, and coordinate quality control assessments.
- Communicate with others in a proactive, professional, positive and supportive manner.
- Complete lab tasks in others areas in RS, including IVF and embryo and sperm cryopreservation.
- RS Technician: Two year associate, vocational or technical degree, completion of an apprenticeship program or equivalent work experience (2 years in research, lab, biobank or equivalent work – internally a minimum of two years in any JAX animal care program)
- RS Technologist: Two year associate, vocational or technicial degree, completion of an apprenticeship program or equivalent work experience (3 years in research, lab, biobank or equivalent work – internally a minimum of three years in any JAX animal care program)
- RS Senior Technologist: Four year BS in applicable field of study and two years of work experience in an animal care/ research setting or two year degree and three plus years of applicable animal care or HS diploma and five years of animal care/research work experience.
- Previous embryo manipulation skills and/or surgery or surgery support is a bonus
- Strong written and oral communication skills sufficient to permit clear and effective exchange of information with people representing a wide diversity of disciplines and levels of sophistication
- Demonstrated, excellent computer software and database skills in Word, Excel, Outlook, AXAPTA, etc. and all other appropriate software used in Jackson Laboratory operations
- Works in a fast-paced team environment while consistently maintaining a positive and professional demeanor
- Flexible and able to adapt to changing business needs
- Demonstrated positive team player able of developing and maintaining positive work relationships
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs on a regular basis.
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with more than 2,300 employees. Headquartered in Bar Harbor, Maine, it has a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center in Augusta, Maine, a genomic medicine institute in Farmington, Connecticut, and facilities in Ellsworth, Maine, Sacramento, California, and Shanghai, China. Its mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory's 43-acre scenic Bar Harbor campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views, and dramatic coastline) is accessible from our campus. We are one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums, and galleries.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY - Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE - Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM - Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE - Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION - Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP - Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement including an MBA program. Our campus offers a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program, an onsite full service cafeteria, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
Employment will require successful completion of references, background check, and a pre-employment physical.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about career opportunities at JAX: http://www.jax.org/careers.