Associate Research Scientist
Bar Harbor, ME
Job posting number: #7070960 (Ref:JAX28046)
Posted: October 14, 2020
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The O’Connell Lab at The Jackson Laboratory is seeking an Associate Research Scientist to support our ongoing research program and to develop new research projects. Our group primarily focuses on mechanisms of learning and memory, as well as genetic diseases of aging (Alzheimer’s and related dementias). The successful candidate will continue and extend studies of the molecular signatures that underlie learning and memory, and disease-related pathological changes in translational models of Alzheimer’s disease. The applicant must be a team player with exceptional organizational and project management skills, including the ability to plan, schedule, and successfully carry out multiple projects at the same time. In addition to experimental studies, the applicant is expected to participate in manuscript preparation and grant writing, and will be strongly encouraged to obtain independent funding.
To apply, please submit: (1) a cover letter describing research accomplishments, interests, and career goals; (2) a current CV; and (3) names and contact information for three references.
· Perform experiments and obtain data with minimal guidance; supervise junior staff to do the same.
· Develop protocols.
· Write manuscripts and grants.
· Efficient, flexible and self-motivated work ethic; to be utilized in planning, executing, and analyzing independent research projects.
· Innovative technical and analytical skills required to perform research at the highest level.
· Highly motivated and independent, yet able to work well in a group setting – exceptional team player.
· Passionate about performing scientific research and translating it to improve human health.
· PhD in neurogenetics, neurophysiology, neurobiology, or other relevant field
· Three (3) years of postdoctoral training or equivalent research experience, and demonstrated meritorious scientific performance.
· Strong publication record (two or more peer-reviewed publications).
· Ability to integrate and apply feedback in a professional manner, prioritize and drive to results with a high emphasis on quality, and work as part of a team.
· Laboratory background with appropriate work experience or with proven ability for practical application of theoretical knowledge.
· Proven ability to analyze and synthesize information, and demonstrated resourcefulness in finding appropriate solutions to problems and initiative in presenting alternatives and implementing solutions to ensure effective change and/or eliminate or mitigate potential negative effects.
· Exceptional organizational and project management skills, including the ability to plan, schedule, and successfully carry out multiple projects at the same time to successful conclusion with minimal supervision.
· Quality orientated including delivering accuracy and attention to detail.
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX, www.jax.org) is a nonprofit biomedical research institute with over 2,000 employees whose mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for human disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health. JAX has a mammalian genetics headquarters in Bar Harbor, Maine; JAXWest, a facility in Sacramento, Calif.; and The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine (JAX-GM), a genomic medicine facility in Farmington, Conn., that is enabling the Laboratory to translate its fundamental science into the clinic. In addition to its National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center, the Laboratory has established a cancer research laboratory in Seoul, South Korea.
The Jackson Laboratory's 43-acre scenic Bar Harbor campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views, and dramatic coastline) is accessible from our campus. We are one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums, and galleries.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY - Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE - Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM - Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE - Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION - Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP - Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement. JAX offers an MBA program, a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about career opportunities at JAX: http://www.jax.org/careers.