Xenograft Studies Advanced Technologist
Bar Harbor, ME
Job posting number: #7071113 (Ref:JAX28058)
Posted: October 19, 2020
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Scientific Services team! This individual will be responsible for conducting oncology and engraftment research. They will perform research and/or development in collaboration with the Principal Investigator or Scientist for a variety of projects according to jointly established protocols. They will also conduct sample receipt and accessioning, surgical engraftment procedures, and dosing. This individual will be responsible for making detailed observations, analyzing data and interpreting results.
- Performs PDX tumor biology experimentation including tissue receipt, LCMV testing, host mouse delivery, preparation/processing of clinical tumor specimens, tumor engraftment, archiving, tumor harvest and processing (including nuclei acid/protein lysate/blood preparation, tumor cryopreservation, histology/necropsy preparation), tumor expansion/passaging/size measurement/distribution, compound administration, and bioanalysis of model.
- Uses surgical technical expertise in small rodent models for tumor implantation.
- When necessary, assist in project planning, SOP development, coordinating resources from Scientific Services and Surgical Services to ensure successful completion of project.
- Maintains laboratory environment required for procedures including monitoring and performing routine cryo systems/database/inventory maintenance.
- Ensures protocols and/or amendments are in place and are accurate relative to the study design prior to study initiation.
- Improves experimental procedures if necessary through discussion with internal investigators and external collaborators.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, animal science, biochemistry or other life science degree and at least 3 years of relevant experience.
- 3 years of experience in small animal surgery, cancer xenograft model, or in-vivo imaging within an advanced biosciences research laboratory.
- 2 years experience with FACS, viability assay, ELISA, protein/RNA/DNA analysis, microscopy, and tissue culture.
- 2 years experience working independently to execute experiments, collect data, trouble shoot, analyze and interpret data
- 2 years experience using advanced software tools for data, image and statistical analysis such as Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator, Image J, Living Image, FlowJo and Prism.
- Ability to expedite small animal handling, injection, and dosing (p.o, i.v., i.m., s.c. and i.p.); animal necropsy and tissue collection at conclusion of in vivo studies.
- Ability to research and understand literatures for scientific and technical improvement and areas of research opportunities.
- Experience in biopharmaceutical cancer discovery laboratory setting is preferred.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Attention to detail and ability to schedule/run multiple concurrent projects.
- This position requires flexibility to occasionally work late shift and during weekends.
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with more than 2,300 employees. Headquartered in Bar Harbor, Maine, it has a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center in Augusta, Maine, a genomic medicine institute in Farmington, Connecticut, and facilities in Ellsworth, Maine, Sacramento, California, and Shanghai, China. Its mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory's 43-acre scenic Bar Harbor campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views, and dramatic coastline) is accessible from our campus. We are one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums, and galleries.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY - Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE - Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM - Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE - Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION - Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP - Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement including an MBA program. Our campus offers a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program, an onsite full service cafeteria, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
Employment will require successful completion of references, background check, and a pre-employment physical.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about career opportunities at JAX: http://www.jax.org/careers.