Research Scientist - Virology
Job posting number: #7075339 (Ref:cj_71972)
Posted: February 22, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
- Immerse Yourself in an Inclusive Culture
- Use your Skills and Make an Impact on CSIROs Health and Biosecurity!
- Join CSIRO - Australia's Premier Science and Technology Research Organisation
The role of Research Scientist staff in CSIRO is to conduct innovative research leading to scientific achievements that are aligned with CSIRO’s strategies. You may be engaged in scientific activity ranging from fundamental research to the investigation of specific industry or community problems. You will have the opportunity to build and maintain networks, play a lead role in securing project funds, provide scientific leadership and pursue new ideas and approaches that create new concepts.
Rabbit caliciviruses are important biocontrol agents in Australia, used to manage invasive feral rabbits that severely impact our agricultural industries and environment. However, research into these agents is hampered due to lack of a suitable ex vivo culture system. Recent advances in organoid technologies have facilitated investigations into host-pathogen interactions for other previously non-cultivatable viruses, including human calicivirus. The Research Scientist - Virology will further refine the rabbit intestinal and hepatic organoid cultures established in our lab to enable robust replication of rabbit caliciviruses, and will study their fundamental biology and evolution, including mechanisms of immune escape.
Your duties will include:
- Optimising rabbit organoid cultures for the robust cultivation of rabbit caliciviruses and subsequently designing and undertaking detailed studies on the fundamental biology of these viruses.
- Using rabbit organoid cultures to conduct research into host-pathogen interactions, including mechanisms of immune escape in rabbit caliciviruses.
- Under limited direction, assisting in the planning and preparation of research proposals and carrying out research investigations, requiring originality, creativity and innovation.
- Presenting results in a meaningful format, preparing reports for clients and/or writing scientific papers for publication.
- Addressing problems promptly and in a constructive manner, selecting the most profitable lines of attack upon a problem, preparing detailed design proposals and experimental protocols.
- Undertaking experimental and/or observational research activities, often requiring the supervision and/or training of others to ensure experiments are established in accordance with research design, or as required.
- Drawing on professional expertise, knowledge of other disciplines and research experience, recognising opportunities for innovation and generating new theoretical perspectives by pursuing new ideas/approaches and networking with scientific colleagues across disciplines.
- Communicating openly, effectively, and respectfully with all staff, clients, and suppliers in the interests of good business practice, collaboration and the enhancement of CSIRO’s reputation.
Location: Black Mountain, ACT
Salary: AU$98K - AU$106K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified Term of 3 years (Full-time)
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate in a relevant discipline area, such as Virology or Developmental Biology.
- Demonstrated strong research experience in the use of organoid/advanced tissue culture systems for exploring host-pathogen interactions.
- Demonstrated skills and experience in Molecular Virology/Biology.
- Track record demonstrating a motivation and discipline to carry out autonomous research, and the ability to independently plan and conduct research investigations.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritise, delegate, adapt research activities, and manage resources to deliver on realistic research milestones.
- A record of high level written and oral communication skills, in the form of scientific publications in peer-reviewed international journals and conference presentations.
- A record of science innovation and creativity, plus the ability & willingness to incorporate novel ideas and approaches into scientific investigations.
- Demonstrated ability to overcome complex problems.
- Demonstrated record of teamwork and collaboration to achieve team objectives.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check.
Applicants must be Australian/New Zealand citizens, Australian Permanent Residents or Australian temporary residents currently residing in Australia.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
23:59 AEDT 22nd March 2021
We’re working hard to build a safe and welcoming culture where people can bring their whole selves to work. Valuing and enabling difference empowers our people, unlocking their potential to innovate and shape the future for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today. We're the people that stay awake solving the world’s big questions. This is true of our science and of our people. Our mission is to create benefit for Australia through impactful science and innovation but we know that that's not possible without an inclusive and diverse culture. We're working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.