LAB ASSISTANT SPECIALIST I
Job posting number: #7080370 (Ref:hlj_31497)
Posted: June 24, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
- The Laboratory Specialist is responsible for ensuring proper handling of all specimens received in the clinical and anatomic pathology laboratories and preparation of these specimens for testing. Job duties include computer data entry and accessioning of orders and also specimen processing tasks including centrifugation, aliquoting, slide preparation, packaging, shipment of referral laboratory specimens and transport and delivery of specimens to the testing departments. Additional duties that are of higher level of complexity are also required, including registration and billing functions, assisting on patient procedures, processing samples that must be handled with aseptic or sterile techniques, and troubleshooting issues with samples and orders. These more complex duties may vary by assigned laboratory section.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Is dedicated to superior customer service and satisfaction.
- Has previous experience working in a laboratory setting.
- Works effectively and constructively to find mutually beneficial solutions for all concerned parties.
- Commits to the principle of continuous improvement in the workplace.
- Exhibits a problem solving attitude, constantly seeks ways to improve processes.
- Receive samples electronically in the LIS, while being conscious of duplicate orders, incorrect sample types, and sample requirements. Knowledgeable about panel components. Competent about test order priority, specimen rejection criteria, and shared sample procedure.
- Demonstrates a thorough working knowledge of order entry and specimen accessioning functions, including a sound working knowledge of test codes and specimen requirements.
- Performs daily, weekly, monthly, and as needed, preventive maintenance procedures including: recording of temperatures, centrifuge rpm and timer checks, and eye wash station maintenance.
- Must follow all regulatory requirements in reference to lab safety procedures regarding use of personal protective equipment, universal precautions for sample handling, and safety laboratory practices.
- Processes general specimens, ensuring that specimen integrity is acceptable when distributed to lab testing sections.
- Provides clerical support for the technical sections to include but not limited to answering phones, recording data, filing slides and paperwork, stocking forms and making copies.
Credentials and Qualifications:
- High school Diploma or Equivalent required.
- Ability to multi-task in a busy, disruptive environment.
- Must be a team player, adaptable to change at a moments notice.
- A high degree of accuracy and attention to detail required.
- Must possess strong oral communications skills and sound reasoning capability based on common sense logic.
- Must demonstrate competent computer data entry skills.
Mission To create a Moffitt culture of diversity and inclusion as we strive to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Vision Moffitt Cancer Center is recognized as the model wherein the diversity of our employees and communities is valued and supported as essential components to contributing to the prevention and cure of cancer. The cancer center is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the cancer center to prohibit unlawful discrimination and harassment of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to workforce members and applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, marital status, disability, genetic information, veteran’s status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.