Postdoctoral Fellow in Molecular Beam Epitaxy
Job posting number: #7080844
Posted: July 6, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionSivananthan Laboratories is on the cutting edge of research and development of intelligent and
automatic-decision making sensors and imagers. Constant innovation of its technologies provides state of-the-art infrared imagers to U.S. defense and commercial customers. Join our dedicated and talented
team of innovators in achieving our mission to “protect those who protect us.”
SUMMARY OF ROLE
The successful candidate will provide molecular beam epitaxy (MBE) support to projects on
sensing and imaging. Candidate is expected to be innovative, a creative thinker and problem
solver, assist in pursuing contract R&D, and assist in transitioning material structures into
The successful candidate will specifically:
• Prepare and load individual wafers into the crystal growth chamber and monitor controls
• Perform molecular beam epitaxy of HgCdTe on various crystal substrates to include silicon and
• Characterize epitaxial material and substrates using FTIR, RHEED, and x-ray diffraction
• Test wafers using spectroscopic ellipsometry and analyze and prepare data in readable format
• Characterize HgCdTe epitaxial films using Hall and photoconductive minority carrier lifetimes
• Experience with troubleshooting, improving, and modifying laboratory equipment, including
MBE and ultra-high vacuum (UHV) equipment
• Experience with in-situ growth monitoring and diagnostic techniques
• Work closely with theoretical physicists and engineers and provide materials growth
• Write R&D-level proposals for semiconductor materials and device technology
• Present R&D results at conferences and publish papers.
• Knowledge of and experience with MBE growth.
• Demonstrated experience in performing materials characterization with XRD, Hall, FTIR,
SE, RHEED and interpretting the results
• Knowledge of studies related to materials for nanodevices
• Strong oral and written communication skills, strong organization skills with an attention
to detail, and excellent documentation capability.
• Candidate should be enthusiastic and highly self-motivated.
• Doctoral degree in Physics, Materials Science, Optics, or relevant engineering discipline
• Citizen or permanent resident of the United States preferred.