CERTIFIED MEDICAL ASSISTANT
Job posting number: #7086309 (Ref:hlj_33009)
Posted: September 29, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Moffitt Cancer Center's Neuro-Oncology Program specializes in the evaluation and treatment of patients with tumors of the brain, skull base and spine. We offer diagnostic and therapeutic services in a single location, along with a comprehensive range of supportive care options that can improve each patient's quality of life during and after treatment. Additionally, investigational therapies, such as glioblastoma vaccines, are available through our robust clinical trials program, which offers patients access to novel treatments before they are approved for use in other settings.
Referring physicians who entrust their patients to Moffitt's Neuro-Oncology Program are securing for them the highest caliber of medical attention. Within our advanced program, we have disease-specific specialists in the fields of:
•Screening and staging
Our Neuro Oncology Clinic currently cares for 30-40 patients daily. We are currently looking for a Certified Medical Assistant to join our team.
- Certified Medical Assistants are essential members of the clinic team. They contribute to the healthcare of patients by assisting with exams and procedures, organizing and managing patient flow, and taking on other responsibilities based on the needs of the department.
- The Certified Medical Assistant will assist by keeping patient rooms stocked, taking vitals, performing skin biopsies, taking wound cultures, photography of skin lesions and/or malignancies, post-op wound dressing changes, suture and staple removal.
- Assists patients with ambulation and/or movement on/off exam table, chairs and/or in and out of wheelchairs utilizing proper body mechanics and safety measures such as, lift equipment.
- After proper patient identification, performs initial patient screening, including vital signs, screening questions, allergy information, and medication history as appropriate. Notifies appropriate staff of positive screening or abnormal vital signs. Documents collected data completely and accurately in medical record including staff notifications. Loads images in preparation for provider visit, as needed. Ensures clinic patient flow is smooth and efficient. Keeps patients and clinical team informed of delays. Communicates effectively to patients, providers, nurses, and other team members.
- Assists practitioner in patient procedures/treatments/examinations, including room preparation, patient positioning, supplies, and equipment. Departs from clinic those patients that do not require nursing intervention. Maintains and uses principles of aseptic techniques and universal precautions when performing clinical duties and tasks.
- Maintains the knowledge and skill necessary to provide care or services based on physical, psychosocial, educational, safety, and related criteria appropriate to the age of the patients served in the assigned service area. Utilizes computerized systems according to departmental needs.
- Provides support to the provider during clinic by assisting with phone calls and faxes.
- Recognizes emergency situations and implements emergency procedures. Administers first aid and CPR.
Credentials and Qualifications:
- High School Diploma
- Certification or Registration from one of the following organizations:
- American Association of Medical Assistants (AMAA)
- American Medical Technologists (AMT)
- National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT)
- National Healthcareer Association (NHA)
- National Association for Health Professionals (NAHP)
- BLS Certification
Mission To create a Moffitt culture of diversity and inclusion as we strive to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Vision Moffitt Cancer Center is recognized as the model wherein the diversity of our employees and communities is valued and supported as essential components to contributing to the prevention and cure of cancer. The cancer center is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the cancer center to prohibit unlawful discrimination and harassment of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to workforce members and applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, marital status, disability, genetic information, veteran’s status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.