Postdoctoral Appointee - In Situ Multimodal Microscopy of Energy Materials
Job posting number: #7088678 (Ref:ANL-411755)
Posted: November 9, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Microscopy group in X-ray Science Division (MIC-XSD) of Advanced Photon Source (APS) at Argonne National Laboratory leads pioneering efforts in developing cutting edge X-ray instrumentation and techniques, enabling multimodal in-situ investigation in areas of physics, chemistry, and material sciences. The coming APS Upgrade (APS-U) will enable X-ray microscopy to resolve chemical and structural information with a 20 nm focused beam. To accomplish this, we are currently seeking to fill a Postdoctoral Appointee position to support instrumentation development for both X-ray fluorescence and diffraction experiments at 2-ID-D / 34-ID-E.
The successful candidate will develop novel multimodal in-situ experimental apparatus with precise control of the sample environment. The apparatus will be compatible with various energy-conversion / storage systems and transferable between X-ray fluorescence and diffraction instrumentation. The candidate will work in a multidisciplinary team, including physicists, chemists, and engineers, and will lead the effort in developing innovative in-situ cells and deploying software for multimodal data analysis at the APS beamlines.
- Ph.D. degree in physics, chemistry, materials science, engineering, or a related discipline
- Experience in materials and devices studies in photovoltaics, batteries, or fuel cells
- The ability to conduct research such as designing experiments and addressing fundamental and / or applied scientific questions
- Demonstrated strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Programming expertise in C/C++, Python, Matlab, or other scientific programming languages.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Good collaboration skills and be able to work with a team
- Experience / interest in developing sample environments for X-ray microscopy at synchrotron beamlines
- Experience with automation, control, and instrument infrastructure
- Knowledge of or familiarity with 3D CAD software
Job FamilyPostdoctoral Family
Job ProfilePostdoctoral Appointee
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.