Blacksburg , VA
Job posting number: #7088698
Posted: November 9, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionJob Description
A Data Management and Machine Learning postdoctoral associate position is available starting January 1, 2021, in the Department of Chemical Engineering, Virginia Tech (Blacksburg, VA, USA). The position will support GlycoMIP, an NSF Materials Innovation Platform (https://glycomip.org/), tackling the scientific and technological bottlenecks in glycomaterials research.
This position is responsible for creating and maintaining data management and dissemination tools and software. The postdoctoral associate will also support the research activities of GlycoMIP. Specifically, the research will focus on the development and application of meso-scale and machine learning models to understand and design glycomaterials.
Candidates should demonstrate all relevant qualifications (see required and preferred qualifications below) in their application packet. The postdoctoral associate appointment will initially be for one year and may be extended for an additional year, depending on performance of the individual, eligibility of renewal and available funding. The salary will be commensurate with the skills and experience of the individual.
- PhD in computational biology, computational soft-materials, or related field. PhD must be awarded no more than four years prior to the effective date of appointment with a minimum of one year eligibility remaining.
- Strong knowledge of programming/scripting in C++, Python or other state-of-the-art computer codes in Linux/Unix environments.
- Existing knowledge and/or enthusiasm to learn required data management skills.
- Experience in molecular simulations.
- Strong track record of scientific productivity and publications.
- Experience managing several projects simultaneously.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as in collaboration with others.
- Experience creating and handling data/databases.
- Track record of creating GitHub based repositories.
- Interest in machine learning and data science.
- Experience building websites.
- Knowledge of glycans/glycomaterials.