Postdoctoral Researcher – Molten Salt Technology Development
Job posting number: #7088869 (Ref:ANL-411836)
Posted: November 11, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Postdoctoral Appointee will be part of a multidisciplinary team conducting R&D work for the development of molten salt technologies for nuclear, solar power, electrometallurgy, and chemical processing applications.
With guidance, the appointee will:
- Assess and improve molten salt monitoring and control technologies to enable operations of large-scale molten salt systems
- Develop purification and separations processes for molten salt media using chemical and electrochemical approaches
- Perform experiments to understand and quantify reaction pathways and kinetics for molten salt chemical systems
- Communicate effectively with supervisors, peers, and Laboratory management through status updates, technical research reports, project presentations, peer-reviewed publications, and other regular channels.
This level of knowledge is typically achieved through a formal education in chemical engineering, materials science, chemistry, nuclear engineering, or related field at the PhD degree level with zero to three years of experience or equivalent in the scientific application of this knowledge and practical laboratory experience.
To be considered, the candidate will be expected to have the following skills:
- Knowledge of general principles of chemistry and chemical technology is required.
- Good skill in the presentation of ideas, results and in the presentation of reports is required.
- Experience in electrochemistry or electrochemical engineering is desired, but not mandatory.
- Experience with high-temperature molten salt systems, actinide chemistry, or materials science is desired, but not mandatory.
- Knowledge of the use of computers to design and control experiments and to analyze and interpret experimental data is required.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
- U.S. citizenship is required for this position
Job FamilyPostdoctoral Family
Job ProfilePostdoctoral Appointee
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.