Facilities APS Site Operations Engineering Specialist
Job posting number: #7098228 (Ref:413071)
Posted: April 16, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Act as an engineering specialist under the direction of the FAC APS Site Operations manager for contracted work projects, modifications, maintenance projects, rehabilitations, and new work order construction to support the Advanced Photon Source operations. Inspect, coordinate, monitor and evaluate contracted work activities to ensure compliance with contractual requirements including quality, environment, safety, and health. Initiate corrective action as required. Coordinate with APS staff, beamline operations, engineers, and other Laboratory personnel as necessary to facilitate completion of contracted work in a satisfactory manner.
Using technical expertise, plans and directs work projects from initiation through delivery, coordinating as required with customers and institutional stakeholders and with work performed. Aligns with customer requirements and scope. Typically, this includes work project scope, job estimates, evaluation of functional and operational requirements, design, testing, quality assurance and acceptance of facility modifications. Continuously reviews status of work orders and budgets & costs; develops schedules and timetables; conducts technical reviews; prepares or directs preparation of status reports and other documentation; implements change control process and recommends addition, expansion, or discontinuance of scope to ensure successful completion of the work. Functions as field and safety coordinator overseeing work projects.
- Proficient knowledge of personal computer operations including Microsoft Office suite, Windows OS applications, and other PC and applicable software.
- Considerable knowledge of OHSA regulations and construction safety, including rigging practices, special hazards, electrical safety and appropriate environmental rules and regulations.
- Considerable knowledge of good construction practices, blueprint reading, specifications interpretation, construction cost scheduling, and construction methods and requirements.
- Considerable skill in monitoring and directing the activities involved in contracted work. Some skill in technical direction and supervision.
- Good judgment as to when to require immediate work stoppage and when correction should be initiated through the FAC Site Ops Manager.
- Knowledge of specialized computer software packages: Workday, Vector, ServiceNow, Xink, Dayforce, AMOS, & PARIS.
- Verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work with all levels of the organization.
- Interpersonal skills and ability to interface with diverse internal and external sources.
- Knowledge of Laboratory and divisional policies, practices, and procedures.
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
- Ability to prioritize, organize and handle multiple assignments to meet priorities and schedules.
- High School Degree and 10+ years of related experience or Associates Degree and 5+ years of related experience.
This job description documents the general nature of work but is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all activities, duties and responsibilities required of job incumbent. Consequently, job incumbent may be required to perform other duties as assigned.
Job FamilyProfessional Technical (PT)
Job ProfileFacilities Engineering 2
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.