Software Engineer – Computer Modeling and Analytics
Job posting number: #7098582 (Ref:413174)
Posted: April 26, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The purpose of this position is to develop large scale modeling, simulation, and analysis platforms that encompass areas such as simulation, planning, data analytics, machine learning, and business intelligence in the areas of energy, military transportation and supply chains.
The work involves gathering requirements, designing and implementing complex modeling software, to include simulation, planning, machine learning, business intelligence, high performance computing, data storage and data analytics . Additionally, preparing and delivering requirements specification, tests plans, and comprehensive training and user documentation is required. Incumbents will be required to maintain cutting-edge knowledge of advances in modeling, simulation, machine learning, and data analysis techniques and tools. Application of new and advanced techniques to very large problems will be key to the long-term success of the programs. Development will be on personal computers, high performance computer clusters, or cloud resources.
To conceptualize, design, develop, implement, test, and document the creation of computerized systems and models for logistics, military, homeland security, emergency management, energy, environmental, and other modeling applications. Use models and systems in analysis. Develop advanced user interfaces, algorithms, simulations, analytics, visualizations, and optimizations; apply application development environments; and evaluate new software engineering technologies.
- Knowledge of high-level programming languages such as Java, Python, R, and C++.
- Experience using common software development tools such as Eclipse and Git.
- Knowledge of diverse advanced computer software tools and application areas, including modeling and simulation, optimization, GIS, scientific visualization, and graphical user interface techniques.
- Knowledge of machine learning, very large database systems, and data analytics.
- Knowledge of computer applications software such as spreadsheets, database management systems, and word processors.
- Skill at high performance computing, data analysis and visualization, parallel programming, and machine learning
- Skill at programming computer simulation models and in proper techniques for software development.
- Skills in oral and written
- Skills at task and project organization.
- A successful candidate must have the ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
- This work will require the incumbent to be a U.S. Citizen and be required to obtain a security clearance up to the Secret level.
- LEVEL 2-Bachelor's & 5+ yrs, Master's & 3+ yrs or Doctorate & 0 yrs,
- LEVEL 3-Bachelor's & 8+ yrs, Master's & 5+ yrs or Doctorate & 4+ yrs,
Job FamilyResearch Development (RD)
Job ProfileSoftware Engineering 2
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.