Experienced Software Engineer
Job posting number: #7098644 (Ref:412996)
Posted: April 7, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Enterprise Software Solutions department at Argonne National Laboratory invites you to join our team in a learning and collaborative environment. We are responsible for supporting the Laboratory’s enterprise software to further the mission of the lab.
We are seeking an experienced software engineer to work on our Platform Scrum team. This team owns the responsibility for developing and supporting features and operational process on our service management platform, ServiceNow.
ServiceNow experience is beneficial, but not a requirement. We are fully committed to training individuals who are new to ServiceNow and want to take on the challenge of learning this robust and ubiquitous platform.
The successful candidate will have a proven record of requirement analysis, problem solving, and solution design, and will be able to use those skills to create new solutions or revise existing ones.
In addition, the candidate must demonstrate an ability to work well with a team by exhibiting strong collaboration skills, team and customer focus, and an ability to work with senior management – all in a very dynamic environment. The position requires learning agility, perseverance, and strong communication skills.
This position is expected to be performed in a hybrid work environment (combination of on-site and remote) however, fully remote work will be considered.
Your level of experience in the required skills should be consistent with your years of experience in software development
Required technical skills:
- Experience with application development on modern platforms with a logical mindset and problem-solving skills
- Experience with database development
- Experience in software development life cycle, including software testing and debugging
- Proven ability to produce secure, reliable, and extendable code
Required non-technical skills:
- User-oriented outlook
- Ability to understand and follow organizational best practices and standards
- Strong service orientation, with the ability to work effectively in a customer-focused service environment
- Highly responsive
- Self-directed and self-motivated
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills including the ability to initiate and foster collaborative relationships
- Ability to provide production support for both locally written and vendor-supplied business software
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork
- To perform the essential functions of this position successful applicants must provide proof of U.S. citizenship, which is required to comply with federal regulations and contract
Experience in any of these skills is advantageous to the position
- Application development in ServiceNow, or similar
- Advanced knowledge of Agile and Scrum
- Advanced knowledge of web services development, such as REST or SOAP
- Considerable knowledge of service management systems
- Working knowledge of ITIL best practices
This position can be hired at one of two levels, and the requisite skills for each level are as follows:
- PT3: Bachelor’s degree and 9-15 years of experience, or equivalent
- PT4: Bachelor’s degree and 15 + years of experience, or equivalent
Job FamilyProfessional Technical (PT)
Job ProfileApplications Development 3
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.