Waste and Water Treatment Operator
Job posting number: #7099027 (Ref:413203)
Posted: April 30, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Under the supervision and direction of the Foreman, the WWTO starts, stops, and adjusts the operation, of all equipment as necessary for proper operation of the four water treatment facilities; sanitary waste treatment plant, industrial waste treatment plant, domestic water treatment plant, and the canal water treatment plant. Equipment includes all pumps, filters, chemical feeders, chlorinators, air compressors, agitators, valves, scrapers, deionizers, sludge scraper and blow off, digesters, trickling filters, clarifiers, tanks, and automatic controls and related equipment.
This job description documents the general nature of work but is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all activities, duties and responsibilities required of job incumbent. Consequently, job incumbent may be required to perform other duties as assigned.
At the treatment plants:
- Performs routine inspections and readings for proper operation
- Collects daily samples
- Performs prescribed chemical tests such as hardness, pH, turbidity, sludge percent chlorine residual, etc. and records analyzed results
- Adjusts equipment as indicated by test results to maintain prescribed quality of water
- Calculates and records daily consumption and flow of water, chemicals, dosages, etc.
- Pumps and processes sludge at prescribed intervals
- Collects wastewater samples from influent and effluent flows as directed
- Perform prescribed operational tests on samples including residual chlorine, pH, slide %, suspended solids, and B.O.D. samples and records analyzed results
- Cleans sand filters and sludge beds periodically
- Basic knowledge of mechanical systems including pumping equipment operation is required
- 1-3 years related experience in operating water treatment equipment and certification as a water systems operator or wastewater treatment operator is desired
- Good knowledge and use of a PC are required
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Good skills in oral and written communications
- Ability to work weekend and shift work
- Complies with all Laboratory and Division Environmental Safety and Health (ES&H) policies, work rules, and safe work practices
Safety, Security, and Environmental Protection
All activities, as they apply to work performed by self and working with others will be executed in compliance with Environment, Safety & Health (ES&H) and security responsibilities established by Argonne National Laboratory's ES&H policies, Safeguards and Security policies, work rules, and safe practices.
Argonne Core Values:
All activities, as they apply to work performed by self and working with others will be executed in compliance with the core values of Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity and Teamwork.
Job ProfileWaste/Water Treatment Opr
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.