APS Site Operations Group Leader
Job posting number: #7099417 (Ref:411159)
Posted: May 5, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Infrastructure Services Division is looking for a Site Operations Group Leader to manage the operational group that provides the support and customer services for development and implementation of operations, maintenance, construction, modification, and rehabilitation of the 400 Area and the Advanced Photon Source (APS) facilities.
- Provides technical support to scientific programs/users for infrastructures systems & physical plant operations.
- Manages the building, utilities, and support operations for the APS which include office, laboratory, beamline, and research facilities.
- Manages the associated building support team who participate in assuring that the scientific staff, facility occupants, contract employees and the user community conduct work activities in a safe and compliant work environment in both office and laboratory settings.
- Works with facilities team to oversee, coordinate and ensure safe operations of the physical plant space utilization/ modifications; oversee training and environmental compliance activities; coordinate with lab wide resources; and ensure divisional specialty systems meet DOE, ANL, and Divisional requirements while supporting a productive research and science mission.
- Works with the APS building management group as a team to ensure that the buildings operate an efficient and effective manner with consistency of best practices across the site.
- Recommends facility and system upgrades and/or changes.
- Plans, coordinates, and ensures that the procedures, workmanship, methods, materials and results of contracted design and construction work meet contract scopes, specifications, ANL quality, environment, safety, and health requirements.
- Inspects or directs the inspection of construction, installation, commissioning, and operation to ensure conformance to established drawings, specifications, schedules, and configuration management.
- Coordinates work with contracted or Laboratory personnel as necessary to initiate and facilitate completion of contracted work on time and within budget for customers.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Knowledge of building heating, cooling, electrical, plumbing, pumping, ventilation, and water systems, for laboratory practices and facilities.
- Knowledge of chemical, electrical, and mechanical safety practices for scientific/research laboratory apparatus and equipment.
- Knowledge of personnel and project management principles and construction practices.
- Verbal and written communications and the ability to work with multiple levels of internal and external contacts and to achieve goals and solutions beneficial to the division and in sync with DOE, regulatory agencies, Lab, ALD and Division rules.
- Leadership skills in interactions with customers/occupants, users, staff, trades, contractors, and service personnel.
- Ability to mentor and lead a team of building operations personnel.
- Experience in dealing with ANL and DOE regulations.
- Experience in both administrative or support environments.
- Experience as a Building or Facility Manager at a DOE or Government Facility.
- Previous demonstrated experience in dealing with a scientific/ engineering environment where safety is a major priority.
- Demonstration of initiative, good judgment, flexibility, productivity, and the ability to work well with others and also independently as needed.
- Skills in preparing the design scope, estimating the costs, and managing the installation and/or construction or components and system.
- Experience with managing Fixed Price/T&M BPA contracts.
- Steward of Lab resources.
- Passion for the mission of the Lab and 24/7 support of APS Operations as needs arise.
- Bachelor’s degree and 10+ years of experience with leadership or equivalent work knowledge & experience with leadership.
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
Job FamilyProfessional Technical (PT)
Job ProfileFacilities Engineering Leader 2
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.