HPC Systems Administration Specialist
Job posting number: #7100199 (Ref:413367)
Posted: May 17, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Argonne is a multidisciplinary science and engineering research center, where world- class researchers work alongside experts from industry, academia and other government laboratories to address vital national challenges in clean energy, environment, technology and national security. As a member of the Argonne Leadership Computing Facility (ALCF) High Performance Computing (HPC) team, you will directly work with first class machines and emergent technologies alongside scientific staff and research colleagues within the division.
The selected individual will primarily assist with the installation of scientific applications using the Spack package manager within an HPC environment. This position will focus on software integration with the larger software and operational ecosystem at the facility site.
Required skills and qualifications:
- Experience with UNIX systems administration, with emphasis on Linux
- Experience with coding and scripting (e.g. C, PHP, Python, Perl and/or Go)
- Knowledge of the installation, management, and the use of software such as compilers, scientific applications, and job resource managers
- Experience with automation/configuration management technologies
- Awareness of a wide variety of opensource technologies relevant to HPC administration, such as resource management integrations, data and storage systems, system wide monitoring infrastructures, software environment deployment, and continuous integration
- Ability to write concise documentation
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- Flexibility in handling assignments and working on several projects simultaneously
- Ability to model Argonne’s core values, impact, safety, respect, impact, and teamwork
- To perform the essential functions of this position successful applicants must provide proof of U.S. citizenship, which is required to comply with federal regulations and contract.
- PT3: Bachelor’s degree and 4+ years of experience, or equivalent
Preferred skills and qualifications:
- Knowledge of capability class HPC systems architecture
- Knowledge of parallel and cluster file systems such as Lustre and GPFS
- Understanding of MPI implementations such as MPICH and LAMS
- Knowledge of high-performance networking technologies such as Infiniband and Omni-Path
- Knowledge of high-performance computing techniques, graphics, and visualization
Job FamilyResearch Development (RD)
Job ProfileComputer Science 3
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.