Biologist or Principal Biologist
Job posting number: #7100378 (Ref:413366)
Posted: May 19, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Provide technical expertise to Division programs related to national security and nonproliferation of biological weapons-related technologies. Provide project management and implementation support for selected projects. Prepare and deliver training and lectures on nonproliferation subjects. Prepare and contribute to technical analyses and reports of proliferation activities; proliferation potential of international transfers of certain materials, equipment, and technologies; and proliferation and security implications of emerging and infectious diseases and biotechnology.
To be considered you must have:
- Knowledge of technical aspects of proliferation and nonproliferation of weapons of mass destruction, particularly biological weapons.
- Familiarity with U.S. and international export control policies and regimes and their relationship to proliferation-sensitive technologies.
- Background in biology.
- Specialization in infectious diseases and proficiency in another WMD-related technical area (e.g., chemistry, physics, or computer science) is desirable.
- Independent judgment, strong organizational skills, and excellent skills in oral and written communications.
- Skills on PC systems using word processing, presentation, spreadsheet, and other typical office software applications.
- Organizational skills.
- Familiarity working in international and multicultural environments and knowledge of diplomatic and communications protocols.
- Must have a solid technical background in a relevant field and a strong desire to apply that background to nonproliferation policy support.
- Selected candidate will be required to obtain and maintain a clearance and must be a U.S. citizen. Please see http://www.state.gov/m/ds/clearances/c10978.htm for more information about requirements for obtaining a security clearance process.
- A successful candidate must have the ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level (RD2 or RD3) depending upon the depth and breadth of relevant knowledge, skills, and experience brought to the position. The requirements for the desired levels are as follows:
- Biologist, RD2 Level: Bachelor’s and 5+ years; Master’s and 3+ years; Doctorate and 0+ years, or equivalent.
- Principal Biologist,RD3 Level: Bachelor’s and 9+ years; Master’s and 7+ years; Doctorate and 4+ years, or equivalent.
Job FamilyResearch Development (RD)
Job ProfileBiology 2
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.