Industrial Safety Specialist
Job posting number: #7100445 (Ref:413401)
Posted: May 20, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Argonne National Laboratory is searching for an Industrial Safety Specialist to work within the Environment, Safety, Health and Quality (ESHQ) directorate. As a Safety Program Manager, you will establish measures for safety program effectiveness and track key metrics to ensure ESHQ overall goals are being met. Maintain cognizance of applicable codes and regulations and recommend changes to policies and procedures based on regulatory changes, best practices, assessment findings, and observations. Design and conduct training to increase awareness of hazards and ways of mitigating the risk. Verify the safety program requirements are understood and effectively implemented across Argonne’s line management. Interact with and incorporate feedback from Argonne safety committees, management and stakeholders in the maintenance, implementation, and assessment of the safety program.
The role of the Industrial Safety Specialist directly impacts the research at Argonne National Laboratory, by providing safety guidelines and procedures so our world-class scientists can conduct their research safely. This role provides an autonomous environment in which you are creating customizable solutions for unique problems, along with developing policies following best practices, OSHA, DOE and State regulations.
- Experience with implementing OSHA 29 CFR 1910 and OSHA 29 CFR 1926.
- Experience conducting inspections in an industrial, construction, or laboratory setting, identifying hazards and prescribing and implementing mitigation factors.
- Experience reviewing and/or developing work planning and control documents, procedures, or safety basis documents.
- Knowledge of industrial safety programs and applicable best practices, OSHA, DOE and State regulations.
- Ability to apply industrial safety and construction knowledge through the development and management of programs and assessments.
- Ability to develop and deliver training on best practices, OSHA, DOE and State regulations that are applicable to industrial safety and construction.
- Ability to effectively communicate problems and solutions to workers and management, orally and in writing.
- Ability to make sound judgments and decisions, and to maintain effective interpersonal relationships.
- Ability to provide high quality customer service.
- Ability to analyze data and make appropriate recommendations to prevent new or recurring accidents.
- OSHA authorized instructor credential preferred and an Associate Safety Professional (ASP) or Certified Safety Professional (CSP) certification is highly desirable.
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level (PT2/PT3) dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills brought to the position, as well as the amount of relevant experience. The requirements of the various levels are as follows:
- PT2 Level: Bachelor’s and 2+ years of experience, or equivalent
- PT3 Level: Bachelor’s and 4+ years of experience, or equivalent
Job FamilyProfessional Technical (PT)
Job ProfileIndustrial Hygiene 2
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.