Mechanical Engineering Postdoctoral Research Associate
Los Alamos, NM
Job posting number: #7101665
Posted: June 8, 2022
Job DescriptionLos Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in science and engineering on behalf of national security. Our Mechanical and Thermal Engineering Group is seeking a Mechanical Engineering Postdoctoral Research Associate to join the R&D team to provide implicit/explicit simulation expertise for dynamic and static environments. You will be working alongside Advanced Manufacturing Experts to develop new materials and fabrication methods to evaluate mechanical designs in extreme environments using commercial and DOE analysis software. You will be responsible for reducing the data for delivery to customers, validating it against experimental and higher-fidelity simulations and reviewing, publishing and presenting your work in peer review journals and in collaboration with external partners.
• Expertise in one or more of the following areas: modeling the response of mechanical structures from static and dynamic upsets (e.g., body load, vibration, shock, thermal loads), materials engineering (synthesizing or selecting materials to meet environmental conditions), numerical modeling code development and/or commercial code use (finite difference/element analysis or similar numerical methods)
• A proven record of conducting research, including actively publishing and presenting results
• Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills and successful experience working in an integrated team environment
• Experience designing complex mechanical structures to meet particular mechanical response objectives
• Familiarity with explicit modeling tools in ANSYS or ABAQUS and experience modeling the behavior of nonlinear materials
• Experience conducting experiments for structures under static and dynamic loads
• Familiarity with mechanical strain, stress, and displacement measurement techniques
• Active DOE level Q clearance
We Are Delivering Scientific Excellence
Los Alamos National Laboratory is more than a place to work. It is a catalyst for discovery, innovation and achievement. It’s one of the reasons we attract world-class talent who contribute greatly to our outstanding culture. Professional development, work/life balance and a diverse and inclusive team foster lasting career satisfaction. Our onsite cafeterias and medical, fitness and breastfeeding facilities, education assistance and generous compensation and benefits reflect our commitment to providing our people with all they need for personal and professional growth. Northern New Mexico offers an abundance of wildlife, culture and adventures, including hiking trails and nearby ski resorts. Learn why Los Alamos has been rated #3 in the Best Counties to Live in the USA.
Apply now: lanl.jobs, search IRC104955
Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations. The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to [email protected] or call 1-505-665-4444 option 1.