Med Laboratory Technician
H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center
Job posting number: #7103766 (Ref:hlj_38216)
Posted: June 23, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Serves as a medical lab technician, working to cover assigned shift or workstation within the molecular pathology laboratory, as scheduled.
The incumbent performs and reports the results of laboratory testing related to the processing of molecular samples for nucleic acid extraction, and lower level complexity molecular testing such as PCR based assays.
In addition to test performance and reporting, the generalist medical lab technician also maintains equipment and records; performs quality control and quality assurance activities; participates in the evaluation of new procedures and equipment; trains others; assists with miscellaneous functions required to maintain the smooth operation of the department such as clerical duties, reagent preparation, and inventory control activities.
The medical laboratory technician exercises limited independent judgment in carrying out job responsibilities and performs all testing under the general supervision of a licensed technologist, supervisor, or laboratory director.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- Three years experience as a medical laboratory technician is preferred.
- Completion of an accredited intership program is preferred
- Laboratory knowledge of theory, testing principles, and instrumentation related to routine clinical laboratory procedures and the ability to problem solve and troubleshoot technical problems is required.
- Ability to adapt positively to change, and interact effectively and professionally with others is also required.
- Specimen Handling; Receives, accessions, and processes blood, and a variety of other human source specimens, for molecular analysis
- Nuclei Acid Extraction; Performs manual and automated nucleic acid extraction processes to obtain DNA and RNA for molecular testing. Processing may include extraction, quantity, and quality assessments.
- Molecular Pathology Testing; Performs and reports tests according to standard operating procedures as established in the clinical molecular laboratory. Demonstrates knowledge of routine testing procedures, and instrument operation and maintenance requirements, as they apply to assigned molecular testing. Performs quality control and quality assurance activities related to molecular testing and reporting of results.
- Technical Support Functions
Credentials and Qualifications:
- Associates Degree required within field of Laboratory Science, Medical Laboratory Technology, or equivalent.
- A minimum of one (1) experience a medical laboratory technician is required. Must meet state and federal regulatory requirements for performance of highly complex laboratory testing under general supervision.
- State of FL, Medical Laboratory Technician
Mission To create a Moﬃtt culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion as we strive to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Vision To advance and accelerate a culture of access, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is a priority at Moffitt and is meant "to promote a culture of diversity and inclusion as we contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer." The Enterprise Equity Department focuses its efforts on eliminating those obstacles to an individual’s ability to exist within their personal comfort zone at the cancer center. Everyone is important to meeting this priority. Addressing and responding to diversity and inclusion fosters an environment where mutual respect for diverse cultures, communication styles, languages, customs, beliefs, values, traditions, experiences and other ways in which we identify ourselves, is the expectation.