Telecommunications and Data Cabling Technician
Job posting number: #7110215 (Ref:414064)
Posted: September 10, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
As part of the Enterprise Communications and Cabling team in the BIS IT Infrastructure department, the telecommunications and data cabling technician is responsible for the installation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of Laboratory structured cabling infrastructure and components related to campus telephones and telephony systems, networking systems, and communications systems.
Job duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Performing moves, adds, changes, and troubleshooting of campus telephones and connected telephony systems
- Pulling, terminating, maintaining, labeling, and testing multiple types of cabling, including Category 6A (CAT6A) cable, fiber optic cable, coax cable, copper and fiber optic riser cables, etc.
- Installation of support structures including cable racks, j-hooks, inner-duct, ladder rack, and IT cabinets
- Locating, tracing and identifying cables
- Fiber optic termination, fusion splicing, testing, and troubleshooting utilizing optical time division reflectometer (OTDR) and/or other state-of-the-art tools and techniques with single-mode and multi-mode fiber
- Update cabling installation documentation, including location, type, date, and other relevant information
- Manage inventory of parts, tools, and supplies as needed
- Technicians will work independently under supervision or as a team member to accomplish larger assignments.
- Technicians will coordinate activities with other groups, perform documentation activities, and perform work in a team environment with changing priorities and deadlines.
- Technicians must have a strong safety record while promoting a safe working environment.
- Technicians must maintain a valid Illinois driver’s license and drive a company vehicle.
- This job description documents the general nature of work but is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all activities, duties and responsibilities required of job incumbent.
- Consequently, job incumbent may be required to perform other duties as assigned.
- To perform the essential functions of this position successful applicants must provide proof of U.S. citizenship, which is required to comply with federal regulations and contract. Illegal drug testing as defined in 10 CFR 707.4 and a background investigation will be required prior to employment.
Senior Technician: Associates and 5 years of experience, or equivalent is required.
This is an on-site union role.
Job ProfileTechnician Sr - Electronics
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.