Postdoctoral Scientist - Sun Lab - Department of Neurosurgery
Los Angeles, CA
Job posting number: #7110556 (Ref: HRC1004110)
Posted: September 14, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
When the work you do every single day has a crucial impact on the lives of others, every effort, every detail, and every second matters. This shared culture of happiness, passion, and dedication pulses through Cedars-Sinai, and it’s just one of the many reasons why we rank as one of the top hospitals in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
Principal Investigator, Tao Sun, PhD, is seeking a Postdoctoral Scientist to join the team!
The primary focus of the Sun Laboratory is in developing an immunotherapeutic approach for the treatment of solid tumors (such as brain cancer) where current immunotherapies have seen little success.
To learn more about Dr. Tao Sun's laboratory, please visit the lab's website.
As a Postdoctoral Scientist, you will work independently, but in close cooperation and in consultation with your Principal Investigator and other Research Scientists. You will perform routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout training period.
*Occasional travel to collaborative sites for work might be required.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- May assist in preparation of grant proposals but is not responsible for generating grant funds.
- May participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author.
- Designs and performs experiments.
- Keeps appropriate experimental records and documentation and analyze the results with the Principal Investigator.
- May develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols.
- Analyzes, interprets, summarizes, compiles data and operates equipment and instruments.
Department-Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs tasks related to molecular biology, such as RNA/DNA isolation, cDNA synthesis, PCR, gel electrophoresis, and RNA-seq data analysis. Gene/protein expression analysis by Western blot, ELISA and other immunoassays.
- Performs animal work tasks such as routine mouse checkup and handling, mouse surgery, treatment.
- Performs tasks related to tissue collection, processing, and immunohistochemistry: tissue preservation and sectioning, immunostaining/IHC and optical imaging and microscopy.
- Performs tasks related to cell biology, such as tissue culture, flow cytometry, and FACS sorting.
- Develops and optimizes new assays and methods under limited supervision. Working with core facilities on complicated biological assays and data analysis.
- Archiving and recordkeeping for biological materials.
- Maintenance of general lab equipment and supplies.
- Doctorate (MD, PhD, VMD or DDS) in area directly related to field of research specialization is required.
- PhD or equivalent degree in Neuroscience, Pathology, Molecular Biology or Epigenetics is highly preferred.
- Experience in the neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, or other neuro-pathologies is preferred.
- Experience in sequencing (such as RNA-seq, ATAC-seq) or live animal manipulations (surgery, behavior test or imaging) is a plus.
- Highly motivated and works independently on research projects designed by a mentor (typically the PI) within area of specialization.
- Acquires thorough technical and theoretical knowledge of research project and objectives during one to five (1-5) year post-doctoral appointment.
- Demonstrated aptitude to perform experimental protocols and procedures, including detailed data collection, and analysis, and operation and maintenance of specialized equipment.
Willing and be able to handle mouse, tissue collection, and occasionally lift and transport 30-pound box using a cart. Must be able to lift at least 30 pounds as well as stand and sit for long periods using computer and other laboratory equipment.
Working Title:Postdoctoral Scientist - Sun Lab - Department of Neurosurgery
Business Entity:Academic / Research
Shift Length:8 hour shift
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.