Postdoctoral Associate - Microbiology and Molecular Genetics
University of Pittsburgh
Job posting number: #7111035 (Ref:pt1006)
Posted: September 19, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Shair laboratory uses 3-D cell culture models and bioinformatics to elucidate EBV molecular pathogenesis in NPC. The lab is collaborative with projects that involve systems biology (single cell RNA-sequencing) and the use of human samples that are processed in a BSL2+ facility. Current projects include: 1) viral and cellular determinants of EBV latent and lytic infection in the nasopharyngeal epithelium; 2) discovery of biomarkers for the early detection and risk assessment of NPC and 3) EBV oncogenic signaling mechanisms. Our mission is to understand the molecular basis of EBV oncogenesis and how the regulation of EBV latent-lytic infection contributes to cancer. The University of Pittsburgh consistently ranks in the top 5 of NIH biomedical research funding. The UPMC Hillman Cancer Center is an NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center that was recently ranked #7 by US News & World Report. The Shair lab is part of the Cancer Virology Program in the UPMC Hillman Cancer Center where there are excellent shared facilities and training opportunities for Ph.D-level scientists. Shair lab members are encouraged to take advantage of the Cancer Center-led Women’s Task Force and other Institutional career development opportunities administered through the Postdoctoral Affairs Office.
Qualifications or Expectations:
- Experience with herpesvirus reactivation, viral gene regulation or the use of 3-D cell culture models will be highly ranked.
- The ideal candidate should have a PhD in the field of virology or cancer biology.
-Applicants should have a strong affinity for interdisciplinary science.
- As a Postdoctoral Associate, you are encouraged to participate in preparation and publication of your research findings, seminars, professional development opportunities, and presentation of your research scholarship at scientific meetings.
- It is your responsibility to actively participate in these activities and seek advice during your postdoctoral experience.
- You are encouraged to take advantage of the Cancer Center-led Women’s Task Force and other Institutional career development opportunities administered through the Postdoctoral Affairs Office.
- You will be highly encouraged and supported for applying for external fellowships and awards to provide your extra financial support.
Duties or Responsibilities:
- Postdoc will be trained on 3-D cell culture and will have exciting opportunities to work with bioinformaticians and physician scientists.
- Postdoctoral candidate will have independent thinking, experimental rigor and evidence of scientific writing and presentation.
- Postdoctoral candidate will study Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) infection in nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC).
Application Instructions:Visit www.join.pitt.edu and View Requisition Number 22000453 to apply.