San Diego, CA
Job posting number: #7111124 (Ref:spd-2199662)
Posted: September 20, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
SBP is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health.
The Preclinical Scientist will be responsible for in vivo preclinical modeling in support of the drug discovery efforts in the Commisso lab (www.commissolab.com). Our mission is to identify new drug targets and develop novel therapeutic modalities for cancer. This is a great opportunity to join a thriving and fast-paced environment aimed at moving our research discoveries to the clinic. The preclinical scientist will employ in vitro cell-based systems and sophisticated surgical techniques to apply our mouse models of cancer to translational projects.
- Conduct tissue culture and animal (mice) experiments as required by the project design.
- Use cellular and animal models of cancer to test dosing and efficacy of compounds and biologics.
- Use histological procedures and microscopy to analyze tissues and evaluate effectiveness of novel drug candidates.
- Performs experiments and procedures with high degree of complexity, demonstrating increasing expertise with a wide range of techniques.
- Record data, generate analytical reports, and contribute to grants and manuscripts with increasing responsibility over time.
- Bachelor’s degree in a biological science and 3+ years prior academic lab experience using mouse models OR Master’s degree in a biological science and 1+ years prior academic lab experience using mouse models
- Experience with surgical procedures and in vivo drug experimentation is preferred
Knowledge/Skills and/or Abilities
- Must be comfortable with procedures involving small animals
- Must be able to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Demonstrate professional communication and interpersonal skills with all team members
- Possess strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Professional proficiency in Microsoft Office, Excel, and Prism is required
- Embody the Institute’s core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community and Compassion
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE.
If you need an accommodation seeking employment with Sanford Burnham Prebys, please email [email protected]. Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis.