Research Assistant II - Medicinal Chemsitry
San Diego, CA
Job posting number: #7111127 (Ref:spd-2166670)
Posted: September 20, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
SBP is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health.
The Conrad Prebys Center for Chemical Genomics at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is seeking a Research Assistant II. The Research Assistant III will work within the Medicinal Chemistry group at the Center and will be responsible for the synthesis of compounds and supporting scientific activities associated with small molecule drug / probe discovery projects under the direction of their supervisor, and/or the project team. The position requires the ability to independently complete routine scientific operations, to be highly productivity, and the ability to complete multi-step syntheses of moderately difficult targets. The Research Assistant II will be responsible for providing support of new equipment and technology to chemists, as requested, and for providing guidance to new laboratory personnel on instrument operations and standard operation procedures.
The Center’s vision is to be the world’s leading academic drug discovery and development organization, an epicenter for innovative approaches to accelerate the discovery of new drugs to help save lives and treat disease. This is an exciting opportunity to directly participate in biomedical and drug discovery projects with an end goal of ultimately benefiting patients.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Successfully performs experiments and procedures demonstrating proficiency with a range of scientific techniques.
- Routine experiments are performed with minimal input from supervisor.
- Independently purifies intermediates and final compounds using forward and reverse phase chromatography. Uses preparative HPLC for routine purification of small molecules
- Proficient in NMR and mass spectrometry and can solve structural problems with occasional support of supervisor
- Analyzes data independently and consults with supervisor on challenging problems. Provides data interpretation and initial analysis of results. Presents results in a concise way
- Contributes to the completion of diverse tasks within laboratory procedures, practices and protocols
- Operates specialized equipment requiring a moderate degree of skill and able to troubleshoot straightforward problems
- Presents work to supervisor and lab/chemistry group meetings
- Performs SciFinder searches, implements synthesis techniques and shares project-relevant information with the team
- Accurately documents experiments in lab notebook
- Provides technical guidance to less experienced team members as needed
- Follows all appropriate safety protocols and takes an active role in the safely culture in the laboratory.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in one of the biological science or related studies and one year of related experience OR equivalent education, training and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been attained is required
- Experienced in the methods of structure determination, including NMR and mass spectrometry
- Must have demonstrated experience in organic synthesis techniques including purification
- Previous experience in a biotech or pharmaceutical setting preferred
Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities:
- Possess strong technical skills in chemistry
- Work independently as well as in a team environment
- Proficient in the purification of organic molecule, and knowledge of the HPLC including trouble shooting common technical problems
- Able to search various sources of literature
- Able to analyze and resolve commonly. encountered issues
- Proven presentation, verbal and written communication skills
- Accurately documents own experiments in lab notebook (including tables, graphs, etc.)
- Be responsible and have strong time management skills
- Possess strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Demonstrate professional communication and interpersonal skills
- Professional proficiency in Microsoft Office and ChemDraw, and ability to learn new software as required
- Embody the Institute’s core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community and Compassion
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals.