Research Associate II
San Diego, CA
Job posting number: #7111131 (Ref:spd-2181542)
Posted: September 20, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Sanford Burnham Prebys is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health.
The Emerling Lab focuses on understanding key lipid signaling and metabolic pathways involved in the regulation of cellular function and growth under pathological conditions such as cancer. Our research focus centers around dissecting the roles of the family of non-canonical phosphoinositide kinases, called the phosphatidylinositol-5-phosphate 4-kinase (PI5P4Ks), in cellular metabolism and organelle communication using a multi-disciplinary approach integrating human, mouse, and worm genetic models.
Duties and Responsibilities:
List the essential job functions (i.e., actual job duties); describe what must be accomplished; it is not necessary to indicate how it must be done.
• Provides guidance to lab staff to execute projects within allotted budget and timelines
• Ensures lab procedures comply with high quality standards
• Develops research reports, presents to management for review and recommends improvements to lab procedures
• Develops and maintains lab procedures, experimental protocols and work instructions
• Anticipates needs of the lab and prepares accordingly (orders supplies, maintains inventory, considers budget implications and coordinates equipment use with other labs)
• Troubleshoots problems and recommends solutions to technical problems of complex scope
• Participates in research projects, including providing interpretations and analysis of results
• Prepares and delivers professional scientific presentations
• Trains subordinate lab personnel in the correct use and application of lab equipment and procedures
• Maintains laboratory equipment in compliance with regulations and operational needs
• Ensures lab employees follow industry standards, safety regulations, and Institute lab policies and practices
• Plans and schedules work activities to ensure adequate space, use of equipment, and coordination with other project activities within the lab
• Works with Principal Investigators and Human Resources to resolve laboratory and personnel challenges
• Oversees personnel and conducts daily tasks of a full-time technician in proper laboratory procedures and safety
Education and/or Experience:
Indicate minimum education/experience used to perform the job. Indicate required, preferred or desired as applicable. If not specifically indicated, it is assumed it is required.
• Bachelor’s degree in a biological science, chemistry, physics or a related field and three years’ experience OR equivalent education, training and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been attained
• Supervisory experience preferred
Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities:
List any knowledge, skills and/or abilities used to perform the job. Indicate required, preferred or desired as applicable. If not specifically indicated, it is assumed it is required.
• Proficiency in the molecular analysis of mouse and human cells/tissues
• Proficiency in current microscopy, cell biology and biochemistry techniques and analysis
• Understanding of signaling pathways, metabolism and cancer biology
• Work independently as well as in a team environment
• Be responsible and have strong time management skills
• Able to analyze and resolve issues of moderate complexity
• Possess strong attention to detail and organizational skills
• Demonstrate professional communication and interpersonal skills
• Professional proficiency in Microsoft Office
• Embody the Institute’s core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community and Compassion
The scientists at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute are making research breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology, and children's disease. We are also at the forefront of finding solutions for emerging health threats such as COVID-19, where we are working to identify drugs that may help millions of people. During our more than 40 year history, we have established an NCI-designated Cancer Center, designed one of the most sophisticated drug discovery centers in the nonprofit world, and created global collaborations that are leading to preventions, treatments and cures to improve human health.
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE.