Research Assistant I
San Diego, CA
Job posting number: #7111132 (Ref:spd-2181565)
Posted: September 20, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
SBP is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health.
The Emerling lab focuses on the requirement of a family of lipid kinases in cancer metabolism using genetic model systems, including human cell lines, mouse models, and C. elegans. The research assistant will perform a variety of routine scientific tasks. Primarily he/she will be responsible for genotyping of the mouse colony. Additionally, he/she will conduct lab-based experiments using cancer cell lines under the general supervision of the PI and/or the lab manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Primary role will be carrying out studies involving cell lines, transgenic knock-out mouse models, maintaining C. elegans strains
Primary responsibilities will include:
• Molecular analysis of mouse and human tissues.
• Perform cell culture studies, which include in vitro drug administration and RNA interference experiments
• Perform DNA, RNA and protein analysis using current molecular biology and biochemistry techniques
Education and/or Experience:
• Requires a bachelor’s degree in a biological science, chemistry, physics or a related field or an equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been attained.
• Any experience working with laboratory mice including procedures such as genotyping by PCR amplification, maintaining mouse colonies, and handling mice is preferred.
Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of basic laboratory equipment and safety protocols
• Demonstrated success of working in a team environment
• Proficiency in molecular and cell biology is required, and a background in neuroscience and animal handling is a plus
• Perform multiple tasks concurrently.
• Work independently as well as in a team environment.
• Be responsible, organized, and a problem solver.
• Possess strong analytical, time management, organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
• Possess strong attention to detail.
• Effectively interact with individuals from various cultures and backgrounds.
• Capacity to learn department-specific computer systems as needed.
• Embody the Institute’s core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community and Compassion.
The scientists at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute are making research breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology, and children's disease. We are also at the forefront of finding solutions for health threats such as COVID-19, where we are working to identify drugs that may help millions of people. During our more than 40 year history, we have established an NCI-designated Cancer Center, designed one of the most sophisticated drug discovery centers in the nonprofit world, and created global collaborations that are leading to preventions, treatments and cures to improve human health.
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE.
If you need an accommodation seeking employment with Sanford Burnham Prebys, please email [email protected]. Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis.