La Jolla, CA
Job posting number: #7111133 (Ref:spd-2169743)
Posted: September 20, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Sanford Burnham Prebys is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health.
Job Description Summary:
This is a non-tenure-track, one-quarter, contract position for Winter 2023, with the possibility of annual renewals. In-person instruction is expected, however demonstrated knowledge of hybrid (in-person and on-line) instruction is preferred. This course will describe and illustrate the statistical methods commonly used in biomedical research. The emphasis is on concepts and practical applications, not theory or proofs. Mastery is expected of descriptive statistics, t-tests, analysis of variance, correlation, regression, factorial designs, and power and sample size, along with R statistics software to perform these analyses.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Instruct 3 credits of graduate-level, introductory Biostatistics with emphasis on practical tasks related to planning and analyzing biological experiments.
- Assess/evaluate student comprehension through quizzes and tests, as appropriate.
- Submit quarterly grades on time and as required by the GSBS.
- Hold regularly-scheduled office hours.
A PhD in a relevant field of science (Biology, Biostatistics) or/and Master's/terminal degree in the area of instruction, or a closely related field.
At least one year experience teaching the same or similar course at the graduate level.
Demonstrated ability to develop course content to match course and program learning outcomes.
1. Demonstrated experience and/or working knowledge of new and promising techniques for the enhancement of learning outcomes and retention in Biostatistics courses.
2. Preference will be given to applicants with demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusivity, and/or intercultural competence with diverse groups in relation to teaching.
One-quarter contract, non-tenure-track
Job applications must be submitted via email to [email protected]
La Jolla, CA
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please attach the following 3 ( PDF ) required documents to your email.
(#1) Cover letter/letter of interest
(#2) Curriculum Vitae
(#3) Names and contact information of three references
Commensurate with experience
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE.
If you need an accommodation seeking employment with Sanford Burnham Prebys, please email [email protected]. Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis.