Human Resources Partner
San Diego, CA
Job posting number: #7111137 (Ref:spd-2199635)
Posted: September 20, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Human Resources Partner
Sanford Burnham Prebys is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health. Join us in beautiful La Jolla, California!
The Human Resource Partner works as the initial point of contact for assigned internal clients. Responsible for a wide range of disciplines across the employee lifecycle, including but not limited to onboarding, performance management, discipline and offboarding. Works closely with assigned internal clients to improve working relationships, build morale and increase productivity and retention.
- Onboarding of new employees of the Institute.
- Provide internal teams required information to properly prepare for new hires first day.
- Track required documentation for Personnel files, enter necessary data into the HRIS.
- Update existing employee job descriptions to adequately reflect assigned job duties. Oversee the development of new job descriptions.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with internal and external customers.
- Work closely with management and employees to improve working relationships, build morale and increase productivity and retention.
- Responsible for the oversight of Personnel records
- Analyzes trends and metrics in partnership with the HR team to develop solutions, programs and policies.
- Interprets the Institute’s policies and procedures
- Responsible for the oversight of the performance management process including but not limited to coordination of performance reviews and timely completion.
- Work with Managers and internal HR team to documentation and review of any needed disciplinary action.
- Participate in evaluation and monitoring of training to ensure successful completion and tracking of objectives.
- Assist with the investigation process and procedure as required.
- Coordination of the offboarding process, including completion of necessary documentation, notification of appropriate personnel and closure of employee records.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- General knowledge of employment laws, wage and hour laws, HR practices and policies required
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent relationship management skills and people acumen
- Experience presenting to groups
- Demonstrate critical thinking and creativity when responding to problems in a variety of situations
- Ability to handle confidential situations with a high degree of integrity
- Be able to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Possess strong attention to detail, time management and organizational skills
- Professional proficiency in Microsoft Office with strong data analysis and Excel skills
- Embody the Institute’s core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community and Compassion
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to comprehend, interpret, and apply the appropriate sections of applicable laws, guidelines, regulations, ordinances, and policies.
- Ability to acquire a thorough understanding of the organization's hierarchy, jobs, qualifications, compensation practices, and the administrative practices related to those factors.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of 8 years of experience resolving complex employee relations issues.
- Working knowledge of multiple human resource disciplines, including compensation practices, organizational diagnosis, employee and union relations, diversity, performance management, and federal and state respective employment laws.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) or SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) credential or ability to obtain certification within one year of employment
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
The scientists at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute are making research breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology, and children's disease. We are also at the forefront of finding solutions for health threats such as COVID-19, where we are working to identify drugs that may help millions of people. During our more than 40 year history, we have established an NCI-designated Cancer Center, designed one of the most sophisticated drug discovery centers in the nonprofit world, and created global collaborations that are leading to preventions, treatments and cures to improve human health.
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE.