CERTIFIED MEDICAL ASSISTANT
Job posting number: #7112285 (Ref:hlj_40826)
Posted: September 30, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Moffitt Cancer Center is internationally recognized for our focus on personalized cancer care and translational research. The mission of Moffitt is clear, focused, and fully stated in nine words, "To contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer." With a tradition of excellence that began with the first patient admission in 1986, dedicated Moffitt physicians, scientists, and staff members have remained committed to excellence in an atmosphere characterized by kindness, caring, and hope.
The Malignant Hematology Program at Moffitt Cancer Center specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of various blood cancers and autoimmune disorders. With a team of nearly two dozen malignant hematology experts – all of whom are foremost experts in specialties such as medical oncology or pathology – we have unparalleled expertise in the management of conditions like lymphoma, leukemia and myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS), as well as multiple myeloma, myeloproliferative syndromes, aplastic anemia and many other related hematological malignancies.
Our Malignant Hematology Clinic cares for 150 patients daily who are seeking treatment for a confirmed diagnosis, or with suspected hematologic conditions. Our team has extensive experience with even the rarest blood-based liquid tumors and autoimmune abnormalities, and we offer on-site lab work processing to provide patients with prompt and accurate diagnoses.
Moffitt’s Malignant Hematology Program offers:
- Complete diagnostic workups, including light microscopies, bone marrow aspirations and biopsies and cytogenetic testing/immunophenotyping
- Screening, staging and pathology services
- Chemotherapy (including access to peripheral stem cell support)
- Immunotherapy, infusions, liposomal drug delivery, anti-angiogenesis therapy, experimental vaccines, monoclonal antibodies, inhibitor treatment, cytokine therapy and other innovative treatment options
- Rapid access to bone marrow transplants (offered through a joint effort with Bone and Marrow Transplant and Cellular Immunotherapy Program)
- Pain management services, dietary counseling and other forms of supportive care (provided by a dedicated Pharmacy and Supportive Care team)
Our Malignant Hematology Clinic provides care to 150 patients on a daily basis. We are currently looking for a Certified Medical Assistant to join our team.
- Certified Medical Assistants are essential members of the clinic team. They contribute to the healthcare of patients by assisting with exams and procedures, organizing and managing patient flow, and taking on other responsibilities based on the needs of the department.
The Ideal Candidate
- The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Phlebotomy experience as a Medical Assistant.
- Front office experience in a fast paced outpatient clinic as a Medical Assistant
- Excellent computer skills
- Assists patients with ambulation and/or movement on/off exam table, chairs and/or in and out of wheelchairs utilizing proper body mechanics and safety measures such as, lift equipment.
- After proper patient identification, performs initial patient screening, including vital signs, screening questions, allergy information, and medication history as appropriate. Notifies appropriate staff of positive screening or abnormal vital signs. Documents collected data completely and accurately in medical record including staff notifications. Loads images in preparation for provider visit, as needed. Ensures clinic patient flow is smooth and efficient. Keeps patients and clinical team informed of delays. Communicates effectively to patients, providers, nurses, and other team members.
- Assists practitioner in patient procedures/treatments/examinations, including room preparation, patient positioning, supplies, and equipment. Departs from clinic those patients that do not require nursing intervention. Maintains and uses principles of aseptic techniques and universal precautions when performing clinical duties and tasks.
- Maintains the knowledge and skill necessary to provide care or services based on physical, psychosocial, educational, safety, and related criteria appropriate to the age of the patients served in the assigned service area. Utilizes computerized systems according to departmental needs.
- Provides support to the provider during clinic by assisting with phone calls and faxes.
- Recognizes emergency situations and implements emergency procedures. Administers first aid and CPR.
Credentials and Qualifications:
- High School Diploma
- Certification or Registration from one of the following organizations:
- American Association of Medical Assistants (AMAA)
- American Medical Technologists (AMT)
- National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT)
- National Healthcareer Association (NHA)
- National Association for Health Professionals (NAHP)
- BLS Certification
- Experience performing lab draws and EKG testing.
Mission To create a Moffitt culture of diversity and inclusion as we strive to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Vision Moffitt Cancer Center is recognized as the model wherein the diversity of our employees and communities is valued and supported as essential components to contributing to the prevention and cure of cancer. The cancer center is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the cancer center to prohibit unlawful discrimination and harassment of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to workforce members and applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, marital status, disability, genetic information, veteran’s status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.