A postdoctoral position is available immediately to study the interactions between the encephalitic alphaviruses and their hosts, focusing on processes of viral neuroinvasion, CNS spread and persistent replication, and the relationships of these factors to disease development after infection with eastern and Venezuelan equine encephalitis viruses. Techniques such as 3D ribbon scanning confocal microscopy, in vivo imaging, PET/CT and CNS cell flow cytometry will be used with mouse, ferret and NHP models. The candidate should have a Ph.D degree and be familiar with basic techniques in molecular biology, cell biology and immunology. Research experience in RNA virology, animal infection by viral pathogens and/or analysis of pathology associated with viral diseases is highly desirable. Individuals with experience working in BSL-3 containment are particularly encouraged to apply. This position will be eligible for a BSL-3 salary supplement of $7,500.00/year. Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States and will be required to obtain Department of Justice security clearance for work with Select Agents and Toxins, as required by federal regulation. Interested individuals should submit a letter of application, curriculum vitae, and the name, address, e-mail and telephone number for three references to William B. Klimstra, Center for Vaccine Research, University of Pittsburgh, 8036 BST3, 3501 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15261. Tel: 412-648-5962; Email: [email protected]
; website: http://www.cvr.pitt.edu/personnel/view.asp?uid=klimstra.
The University of Pittsburgh is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women and minority candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Qualifications or Expectations:
- Experience with neuroscience and/or in vivo imaging desired but not required
- Experience with virus infections desired but not required
- Interaction with multiple collaborating scientists at Pitt and other institutions
- Regular attendance of professional meetings
- Support for securing independent NIH and DoD funding
Duties or Responsibilities:
- Animal studies
- Design and conduct experiments with encephalitic alphaviruses
- Extensive in vivo imaging, PET-CT and confocal microscopy work
- Independent experiment design and troubleshooting
- Manuscript preparation
- Work in BSL-2 and BSL-3 laboratories
For more info about this position, visit:https://www.cvr.pitt.edu/current-openings
visit join.pitt.edu and View Requisition Number (22008209) to apply.