Research Assistant I/II - Development, Aging and Regeneration
San Diego, CA
Job posting number: #7115518 (Ref:spd-2273708)
Posted: November 6, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Sanford Burnham Prebys is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health.
A Research Assistant I/II position is available in the Bodmer Lab. The Research Assistant would assist with overall projects in the lab.
The Bodmer Laboratory is interested in the molecular mechanisms of organ formation, how patterns are generated and how cells and tissue types assume their correct fates and functions. The Bodmer lab is pursuing this interest by studying the genetic functions and interactions that specify heart development and maintain heart performance in the Drosophila model, in the hope of elucidating basic principles in organogenesis and functionality. The Bodmer lab studies the molecular-genetic regulation of developmental and recently also in homeostatic processes in the Drosophila heart. We have established many Drosophila models for fundamental aspects of cardiac function, lipotoxicity and senescence. We have extensive experience in developing methods and approaches of cell type specification, cardiac morphogenesis, as well as a suite of heart function assays that have allowed us to build models of congenital heart disease, cardiomyopathies, and metabolic models of cardiac dysfunction. Specifically, we systematically test candidate genes from congenital, diabetic, age-related, and other heart disease patients in our Drosophila (and also zebrafish) heart models and bring information on underlying disease mechanisms back to our clinical partners.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs routine laboratory maintenance, training, and guiding Lab Assistants and Students
- Performs Drosophila handling and genetics
- Analysis of Drosophila through Imaging, Molecular Biology, and/or Biochemical Assays
- Assists with molecular biology (CRISPR/qPCR) support
- Performs high-speed video microscopy
- Troubleshoots and develops solutions to technical problems
- Assisting with duties and tasks related to other projects in the lab
Education and/or Experience:
- BA/BS Degree in the biological sciences, chemistry or a related area of study
- Combination of education, training and experience in lieu of BA/BS Degree
- Candidate with one year of relevant laboratory experience may be considered for Level II
- Fluorescence Immunohistochemistry and Microscopy
- PCR and Cloning
- Biological Assays, such as Western blotting
- Experience with classical genetics of Drosophila melanogaster preferred
Other Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities:
- High attention to detail
- Excellent manual dexterity to perform microdissections
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Possess strong analytical, time management and organizational skills
- Able to work in a deadline-driven schedule
- Embody the Institute's core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community and Compassion
The scientists at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute are making research breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology, and children's disease. We are also at the forefront of finding solutions for health threats such as COVID-19, where we are working to identify drugs that may help millions of people. During our more than 40 year history, we have established an NCI-designated Cancer Center, designed one of the most sophisticated drug discovery centers in the nonprofit world, and created global collaborations that are leading to preventions, treatments and cures to improve human health.
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE.