Department Chair, Full Professor of Health and Exercise Science (12-month appointment)
Job posting number: #7116219 (Ref:if106876)
Posted: November 16, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Department of Health and Exercise Science at the University of Oklahoma (OU) seeks applicants for a tenured Full Professor / Chair to lead our interdisciplinary department, which integrates the biological, physiological, medical, behavioral, and social sciences to advance research and practice related to human health and exercise physiology. The position begins July 1, 2023. The department offers graduate degrees in Exercise Physiology (MS, PhD), Health Promotion (MS, PhD), and Sports Data Analytics (MS) and is part of a multidisciplinary program in Cellular and Behavioral Neurobiology (PhD). It is also one of the largest undergraduate majors (currently 955 majors & 100 minors) in the Dodge Family College of Arts and Sciences (DFCAS), predominantly serving students pursuing advanced degrees, training, and careers in medicine, physical therapy, and other health sciences. The department is nationally ranked by the National Academy of Kinesiology, with strengths that focus on health promotion (e.g., health disparities, ageism, adolescent/young adult health, health communication) and human physiology (e.g., neuromuscular, bone density, mitochondrial genetics, and vascular function). The department comprises 14 faculty, 5 staff, several adjunct instructors, and a strong graduate teaching assistantship program. The department has numerous opportunities for growth due to faculty-initiated programmatic enhancements, collaborations with OU Health Sciences Center (OUHSC) and elsewhere, and anticipated hiring opportunities to address the high demand for our degree program.
The ideal candidate will have the vision and experience to lead a department invested in enhancing the quality of life across the state and the nation through innovative, cutting-edge exercise science and health promotion research and the provision of rich and diverse undergraduate and graduate curricula. The candidate will develop and implement strategic plans to maintain, enrich, and expand the department’s externally supported research initiatives, dedication to high-quality academic instruction, and commitment to recruiting and retaining exceptional faculty and students. The chairperson will also lead the department per the OU Strategic Plan (https://www.ou.edu/leadon), DFCAS, and the OU Vice President for Research Partnerships Strategic Verticals (https://www.ou.edu/research-norman). The assigned teaching load will be one course per fall and spring semester. Salary, benefits, and start-up packages are competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience
- Rank of Full Professor
- Ph.D. or equivalent in Health Promotion, Exercise Science, or a closely related discipline
- Established high-quality research record of national prominence in one of the department’s two main disciplines of exercise physiology and health promotion, as evidenced by an ongoing record of scholarly publications and an active research program commensurate with the rank of a full professor with tenure at OU and comparable national institutions
- History of external grant funding
- Excellence in undergraduate and graduate teaching, mentoring, and program development
- Strong interpersonal and team-building skills with a collaborative leadership and communication style
- Evidence of inclusive service and professional outreach. Prior administrative and leadership experience
Applications should be submitted online via Interfolio at https://apply.interfolio.com/117001.
- A cover letter specifically addressing how the candidate’s research, teaching, and service background qualifies for the position (2-page limit)
- Curriculum vitae
- Research statement highlighting previous, current, and future research (4-page limit)
- Contact information for three individuals who could provide letters of reference.
Additional materials may be requested at a later date.