Communications Coordinator - Orange County
Job posting number: #7116504 (Ref:10019299)
Posted: November 22, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope’s translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope’s specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation’s “Best Hospitals” in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.
City of Hope’s commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.
This position will be responsible for project management and administrative duties for the Communications department. Reporting to the Director of External Communication, the position is responsible for providing internal and external communications functions and initiatives such as press release distribution, media training sessions, onsite photo shoots/filming, awards nominations, internal newsletter, coordination of team calendars and writing and editing of written and website materials. The coordinator also provides administrative support through scheduling and arranging logistics for meetings, managing media call volume, and maintaining department trackers and file organization. This position assists in annual budgeting procedures, creates and submits expense reports, and processes contracts and tracks invoices for timely payment.
This position requires strong technical skills, written and communications skills as well as flexibility, excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to work well with all levels inside and outside of the organization. This position supports multiple people and teams in a fast-paced environment.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Project manages ongoing functions and initiatives such as press release distribution, media training sessions, onsite photo shoots/filming, internal newsletter, coordination of team calendars and writing and editing of all written and website materials. Also assists in the creation of materials and presentations as they relate to the communications department and uploading various items to the City of Hope website.
- Manages the processing and marketing use of all patient protected health information (PHI) for the City of Hope OC, working closely with the Department of Corporate Compliance.
- Manages, screens and routes media calls, takes messages when needed, and provides information to callers. Uses discretionary initiative and judgment in handling sensitive and confidential details.
- Manages calendars for multiple leaders by scheduling appointments, meetings, etc. Initiates routine and some non-routine correspondence and memoranda.
- Facilitates incoming requests from internal partners e.g., Philanthropy, enterprise, marcomm, strategy and business development
- Schedules appointments & meetings; coordinates meeting space, catering, transportation, audio visual needs & agenda materials for the department.
- Prepares and posts announcements and news via digital and traditional channels.
- Manages contracts in the Meditract system for the department.
- Processes invoices via check request or purchase order and processes expense reports for staff with required documentation for submission to corporate accounting. Maintains monthly spending spreadsheet.
- Resolves routine and complex inquiries and fulfills requests from internal and external business contacts using knowledge of division/department and organization policies & procedures.
- Maintains various print and online subscription services for department.
- Collaborates when necessary with outside vendors, assessing the needs of the department, responding to questions and ensuring smooth operations of services.
- Ensures departmental standards are followed in relation to proper formatting, grammar, reference and completion of materials. Follows City of Hope brand and guidelines on the Web; ensures style guidelines are followed and project adheres to specifications and standards.
- Oversees development and maintenance of departmental files and records.
- Works with Director of External Communications on budget tracking to ensure proper expense accounting and budget adherence. Works with corporate accounting and vendors to resolve payment issues when necessary.
- Functions as resource to departmental staff; recommends solutions to administrative or technical problems.
- Communicates effectively with all levels of management and staff. Fosters development of teamwork within the department while meeting the needs of the departments being served.
- Maintains a positive image when dealing with department personnel and other City of Hope employees.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, English or a related field. Experience may substitute for minimum education requirements.
- 3+ years of previous work experience in a professional environment preferably working within a marketing and/or communications department.
- As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
City of Hope is a community of people characterized by our diversity of thought, background and approach, but tied together by our commitment to care for and cure those with cancer and other life-threatening diseases. The innovation that our diversity produces in the areas of research, treatment, philanthropy and education has made us national leaders in this fight. Our unique and diverse workforce provides us the ability to understand our patients' needs, deliver compassionate care and continue the quest for a cure for life-threatening diseases. At City of Hope, diversity and inclusion is a core value at the heart of our mission. We strive to create an inclusive workplace environment that engages all of our employees and provides them with opportunities to develop and grow, both personally and professionally. Each day brings an opportunity to strengthen our work, leverage our different perspectives and improve our patients’ experiences by learning from others. Diversity and inclusion is about much more than policies and campaigns. It is an integral part of who we are as an institution, how we operate and how we see our future.