Software Support Engineer
Job posting number: #7116761 (Ref:414494)
Posted: November 23, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Enterprise Software Solutions department at Argonne National Laboratory invites you to join our team in a learning and collaborative environment. We are responsible for supporting the Laboratory’s business software to further our science and technology mission. We seek an energetic individual who is passionate about supporting production business systems and able to work effectively with the service management and development teams to provide quality service.
The Software Support Engineer is responsible for providing technical support for Argonne National Laboratory’s business applications and will work with a team of engineers to resolve support issues using their analytical, organizational, and technical skills. And will help identify trending issues and partner with development teams to find both workarounds and permanent solutions.
In this role you can expect to:
- Act as a liaison between application development teams and the customer to provide technical information and updates, advise customers on basic configuration and functionality questions
- Identify and document defect details
- Monitor and resolve errors identified in automated system logs
- Handle production outages and issues in a timely and effective manner
- Triage, troubleshoot, and resolve software issues at the application and database level
- Identify and escalate potential production issues to the appropriate level
- Manage a queue of incoming service requests and incidents
- Work directly with application owners to maximize system usage and functionality to best achieve their business objectives
- Develop product enhancements and patches, including automation, to improve the quality and health of Argonne business systems
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or a related program
- Knowledge to gather customer requirements to provide innovative solutions and recommend system and process enhancements
- Ability to analyze and resolve functional and technical problems of supported applications
- Ability to implement business software and provide systems administration set-up and configuration
- Ability to coordinate with program development teams on software interfaces used by supported business applications
- Partner and work closely with internal business units to facilitate project completion
- Provide documentation of business rules, functional specifications, and process interpretation for assigned applications, systems and business solutions
- Communicate with software vendors and suppliers in support of business application software packages
- Possess effective interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and learning agility
Preferred skills, but not required:
- Familiarity with SQL statements and relational databases
- Familiarity with Linux systems
- Experience with development languages (JEE, Ruby on Rails, Python)
- Knowledge and experience with ticketing software, such as ServiceNow
This position can be hired at one of two levels and the requirements for each are as follows:
- PT1: Bachelor's degree
- PT2: Bachelor's degree and 2+years of experience, or equivalent
Job FamilyProfessional Technical (PT)
Job ProfileApplications Development 1
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.