Job posting number: #7116763 (Ref:414489)
Posted: November 23, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Our Deployed Safety Team is currently seeking three Safety Generalists to join their team. Responsibilities in this role include:
- Functions as a member of the Laboratory deployed safety team.
- Acts as a two-way conduit of information: communicate Laboratory health, safety and environmental requirements and programs to line management, researchers, and workers in the deployed Division(s).
- Communicate ideas for tailored execution of programs and area safety needs.
- Provides support to line management, researchers and workers to providing effective implementation solutions, leading/participating in work planning activities, and serving as a local safety professional resource.
- Provides support, coordination, and guidance, as needed, to ensure that the deployed division complies with Argonne environment, safety and health (ESH) policies and initiatives and with DOE orders and OSHA regulations.
- With reach-back to mentor and Laboratory subject matter experts, conducts walkthroughs, reviews and provides consultation of experimental/project plans, operating procedures, and job safety analyses.
- Coordinates and monitors the deployed Division’s safety activities, with support of others in the deployed safety team.
- Serves as an integral member of the deployed Directorate’s ESH/QA team and in functional roles as assigned.
- Acts semi-independently, under mentorship by an experienced peer.
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in physical science or engineering, occupational health & safety, or environmental engineering, or related. Occupational Heath & Safety degree is preferred.
- General knowledge in laboratory, experimental, and/or industrial facilities safety.
- Willingness to explore alternate methods to reduce risk, with input from specialists and peer mentor.
- Effective verbal communication skills with scientists, support staff, and division management.
- Effective written communications skills.
- Ability to quickly learn safety-related Argonne web applications and well versed in common productivity software.
- Ability to acquire general technical expertise and knowledge about the operational aspects and safety challenges in the deployed division(s).
- Basic knowledge of supporting facility operations preferred.
- Initiating effort toward certification in ESH career field.
- Ability to recognize work sequences requiring additional specialist knowledge and to involve these specialists to assist as necessary.
- Ability to acquire competencies in OSHA disciplines relevant to the work in the deployed division(s).
- Ability to provide timely and competent customer service.
- Willingness to interact at the customer work location.
- Ability to model Argonne’s core values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level (PT1 or PT2) dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills brought to the position, as well as the amount of relevant experience. The requirements of the various levels are as follows:
- PT1 Level: Bachelor’s degree, or a Master's degree and 2+ years, or equivalent.
- PT2 Level: Bachelor’s degree and 2+ years of experience, or a Master's degree, or equivalent.
Job FamilyProfessional Technical (PT)
Job ProfileESH Multi-Functional 1
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.