Director, School of Music; Professor of Music
University of Oklahoma, Norman Campus
Job posting number: #7117163 (Ref:if107539)
Posted: December 1, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Director position offers a rewarding opportunity for an accomplished professional in the field of music to bring their proven track record of strategic leadership and collaboration to further strengthen successful programs and develop external partnerships. The individual must be adaptive and comfortable in defining and implementing approaches in all aspects of the school. Candidates are expected to provide evidence of successful leadership, effective interpersonal and communication style, and history of shared governance.
The Director serves as the academic and administrative officer of the School of Music, reporting to the dean of the Weitzenhoffer Family College of Fine Arts. The Director provides creative and proactive leadership, as well as principled administrative guidance and advocacy for the mission of the school in teaching, creative activity/research and public service/outreach. The desired candidate should be visionary and able to articulate and promote expanded definitions of music. The individual should have a clear understanding of current technologies and be able to develop strategies that incorporate diverse ways to develop and promote the school and its efforts.
This position is at the rank of Full Professor with Tenure. The University seeks to appoint a new Director of the School of Music as early as July 1, 2023.
Position will remain open until filled.
- Academic and administrative leadership of the school
- Budget development
- Faculty/Staff and Student recruitment
- Oversight of school programs and policies
- Representing the school on campus, nationally and abroad
- Teaching, Mentoring, and/or Scholarly/Creative Activity as preferred and appropriate
- Earned doctorate or equivalent professional experience
- Proven and respected leader who has demonstrated the highest standards of achievement in academic and/or performance disciplines in Music
- Demonstrated success in managing large budgets, asset and program development, and fundraising
- Qualification for tenure at the rank of full professor.
Applications must be submitted online at https://apply.interfolio.com/117602. Required documents include a cover letter, up-to-date curriculum vitae; link(s) to video or webpage of creative work and/or professional portfolio; and a list of three to five references with contact information. The cover letter may address the candidate's approach to teaching, diversity, equity and inclusion, research/creative activity, service, and administrative service.
Please contact Marvin Lamb ([email protected]) with any questions or issues.