Renewable Term Lecturer/Instructor of General Education, First Year Experience – Gateway to Belonging
Job posting number: #7117164 (Ref:if108334)
Posted: December 1, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
University College at the University of Oklahoma invites applications for renewable term faculty for the general education course “Gateway to Belonging at OU” (GBO). This course is part of a suite of courses that meet the General Education Core V requirement: First Year Experience. A first-year experience course is required for all incoming first-year and transfer students at OU. These uniform courses are taught by teams of instructors and will help students gain a better understanding around five key areas:
• Cultural Fluency: Students will gain an understanding of diverse perspectives from people of different abilities, identities, cultures, and social backgrounds.
• Critical Thinking: Students will explore how they have formed their opinions and beliefs about themselves and others and determine the difference between beliefs, values, opinions, and facts.
• Civil Discourse: Students will master practical skills to interact with others of different beliefs and backgrounds and learn that they can disagree with humility and integrity and a willingness to learn from one another.
• Citizenship: Students will study the important historical dynamics and legacies in the U.S. and abroad, and the ways in which they shape our experience of belonging and community and inform how we engage as global citizens.
• Community Engagement: Students will discover ways to create a shared vision and values for an inclusive society with opportunities for all, as well as to practice engagement on campus and in the wider community.
Specifically, Gateway to Belonging at OU (UCOL 1523) is focused on building critical thinking and problem-solving, understanding our collective experiences and histories, and building an inclusive community. The knowledge, skills, and tools students acquire in this course will assist them throughout their lives, relationships, and chosen careers.
We seek candidates who contribute to fostering an inclusive excellence in all aspects of their engagement with the campus and community. Successful candidates will have a commitment to excellence in teaching and successful engagement and support and/or teaching. Selected applicants will be appointed as renewable term faculty. The term of the initial appointment is three years, and faculty who meet the appropriate qualification requirements are eligible to be considered for renewal of their appointment. The regular teaching load is 4/4.
The University of Oklahoma is a Carnegie-R1 comprehensive public research university known for excellence in teaching, research, and community engagement, serving the educational, cultural, economic, and healthcare needs of the state, region, and nation from three campuses: the main campus in Norman, the Health Sciences Center in Oklahoma City, and the Schusterman Center in Tulsa. OU enrolls over 30,000 students and has more than 2,700 fulltime faculty members in 21 colleges.
• Doctorate in Humanities, Social Sciences, Cultural Studies, Education or related.
• Demonstrated knowledge in creating inclusive spaces that promote belonging and growth.
▪ Demonstrated effectiveness cultivating enriching discussions and spurring critical thinking among students
▪ Demonstrated effectiveness in building community with diverse student populations
▪ Demonstrated effectiveness engaging first year and transfer students acclimating to collegiate standards.
Applications should be submitted online via Interfolio at https://apply.interfolio.com/118355.
Applicants should submit:
1) a cover letter briefly describing your interest in the position,
2) current CV, and
3) names and contact information for three references.
Candidates can submit supplemental documents including past syllabi of courses taught or a summary of past teaching positions and courses taught.
Candidates should have their doctoral degree at time of appointment.
All application materials should be submitted to Kendall Jenkins at [email protected] Inquiries about the position can be addressed to Dr. Adrienne R. Carter-Sowell at [email protected], course director of the GBO course. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled. Starting date for the position will be in January 2023.