Postdoctoral Associate - Medicine(#90)
Job posting number: #7117336 (Ref:pt10090)
Posted: December 6, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionA postdoctoral position is available for a highly qualified and motivated candidate in the laboratory of Dr. Benjamin Nacev at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology/Oncology, and UPMC Hillman Cancer Center.
The scientific goal of the Nacev Lab is to understand how cancer-associated genetic alterations in chromatin regulators promote cancer and to leverage this understanding to advance new therapeutic approaches. The lab’s focus is on cancer-associated histone mutations [Nacev et al, Nature, 2019] and genetic alterations observed in epigenetic regulators in sarcomas [Nacev*, Sanchez-Vega* et al., Nat Commun, 2022]. The Nacev lab employs diverse tools including genetic, chemical, and epigenomic approaches to model these events and study how the epigenome is dysregulated to alter transcriptional and developmental programs important for cancer growth and oncogenic behavior.
The philosophy of the Nacev lab is to create a welcoming and inclusive environment that promotes creative thinking, and innovation, and that embraces the joy and excitement of discovery.
Our mission is to pursue science in the service of helping people with cancer to live longer and better lives.
For more information on the Nacev lab, please visit http://nacevlab.com/
Apply to the position here: https://cfopitt.taleo.net/careersection/pitt_faculty_external_pd/jobdetail.ftl?job=23001631&tz=GMT-04%3A00&tzname=America%2FNew_York
Qualifications or Expectations:
- Backgrounds and skills in any of the following domains would significantly contribute to the laboratory program: Development of GEMM ¦ Epigenomic techniques including ATAC-seq, CUT&RUN, ChIP-seq, and Hi-C ¦CRISPR/Cas9 functional screens ¦ Proteomics including BioID ¦ Computational analysis of epigenomic and transcriptomic datasets ¦familiarity with a single cell and/or spatial transcriptomic and/or epigenomic techniques such as sc-RNA-seq and sc-ATAC-seq.
- Candidate must have a Ph.D. in life/biologic sciences.
- The applicant should demonstrate a thirst for scientific knowledge and discovery and have a track record of taking the initiative in pursuing new and independent ideas, adopting and optimizing emerging techniques, and working well as part of a team
- The candidate should be no more than 3 years from the awarding of a doctoral degree.
- Dr. Nacev is a physician-scientist who cares for sarcoma patients in the medical oncology clinic in addition to leading a basic and translational laboratory research program. He is committed to mentoring and training postdoctoral associates to build skills relevant to the focus of the project. The learning experience will be tailored based on the postdoctoral associate’s prior training and will be focused on building new areas of expertise in keeping with the postdoctoral associate’s overall career goals and research interests. Dr. Nacev will regularly meet 1:1 with the postdoctoral associate to discuss progress and mentorship topics. In addition, Dr. Nacev will meet with the candidate quarterly to discuss and review progress toward career goals. The School of Medicine also has significant programs and resources to support the career development of postdoctoral associates: https://www.medschool.pitt.edu/postdoctoral-scholars-and-associates
- The Hillman Cancer Center offers opportunities to apply for Fellowships that provide additional support including a stipend increase of 20% above the NIH recommendation and career development funds. These programs include dedicated fellowships for individuals from underrepresented minorities or disadvantaged backgrounds, as defined by the NIH. Additional details can be found here: https://hillmanresearch.upmc.edu/research/hillman-fellows/postdoctoral/
For more info about this position, visit:http://nacevlab.com/
Application Instructions:Apply for the position here:
visit join.pitt.edu and View Requisition Number 22008853 to apply.