Senior Payroll Analyst
Job posting number: #7117693 (Ref:10018500)
Posted: January 12, 2023
Salary / Pay Rate: $37.00 - $57.35 / hour
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope’s translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope’s specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation’s “Best Hospitals” in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.
City of Hope’s commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.
The City of Hope Corporate Accounting Payroll Department is responsible for accurate timekeeping and payroll processing for approximately 6000+ full and part-time employees and 350+ physicians as well as collaborate with Human Resources on executing special programs and incentives for the enterprise. This position will be the primary person providing timely customer services and technical assistance to employee pay related inquiries and ensuring proper routing of such inquiries to relevant parties to resolve any open questions and issues. This position will also be responsible for providing regulatory and legal/compliance related reporting as well as operational reporting such as service level agreement metrics for all reporting entities including City of Hope as well as Physicians Group. Additionally, this position will work with IT, HR and ERP BA team to conduct any necessary training workshops for all employees and physicians. Auditing payroll cycles to ensure accurate payroll calculation and processing will also be a crucial part of this reporting analyst role. Providing monthly error findings will provide insights in terms of system infrastructure, internal control, and business process improvements.
Key Responsibilities include:
Manage central Corporate Payroll communication venues including dedicated email, phone, and fax. Ensuring all inquiries are addressed timely. Strong customer services, interpersonal, communication, leadership skills as interacts with various Corporate Accounting, Information Technology, and Human Resource departments as well as its respective levels of management members and personnel. Partner with both internal and external payroll processor and our business partners including Operations, Compensation, Benefits and HRIM and utilize professional knowledge of accounting and other related areas to evaluate needs and design of payroll reporting to meet the management needs. Working knowledge of GAAP and their impact on City of Hope operations and willingness to develop further knowledge if needed. Supporting Corporate Payroll Senior Manager to ensure accurate operations of the payroll functions with minimal errors. Develop, implement and practice proper internal controls to limit exposure to fraud and abuse. Ensure policy and procedures exist that protect financial assets and reduce financial liability during the handling and processing of activities.
Technical and Customer Assistance
- Responds to complex telephone and written inquiries from reporting entity employees and agency members regarding laws, rules, policies, procedures, forms and processes; answers questions and resolves problems or forwards inquiries to appropriate function and staff.
- Assist in analyzing and providing guidance on the impact of relevant legislative and compliance changes to employee pay including but not limited to benefits, tax, and legal.
- Present payroll onboarding packet at the new employee orientation and new manager trainings as well as ad hoc training or guidance to employees and physicians per request through collaboration with HR, IT and ERP BA teams.
- Well versed in timekeeping and pay related policies and make appropriate updates or recommendations when necessary.
Metrics and Analytics Reporting
- Provide payroll input for financial management reporting related to monthly close process.
- Establish service legal agreement metrics to ensure payroll operational accountability and excellence.
- Provide HR and Legal required payroll reporting in support of employee relations and litigations.
- Develop and execute of a number of operations reports to track and measure the key metrics within the payroll operations, to include, but not be limited to, operational performance; cost, time and quality; supplier utilization and spend data.
- Develop queries and methods for pulling and reporting data associated with key metrics.
- Identify and maintain measurement indicators and track performance associated with key metrics.
- Research data anomalies and participate in root cause analysis.
- Develop meaningful and effective internal ad-hoc management reports to supplement trend analysis of specific metrics as required.
- Develop a professional and clear manner and format for communicating key metrics to the appropriate team members and/or operational business stakeholders.
- Determines the basis for reporting errors, including identifying reporting error patterns and trends, and provides training to reporting entity staff to prevent reoccurrence.
- Reviews complex report adjustments submitted by reporting entities and determines appropriate action. Assists reporting entities with reconciling out-of-balance reports.
- Assist Senior Payroll manager in both internal and external audits.
- Provides back-up assistance to other payroll staff when needed.
- Performs related work and projects as assigned.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience may substitute for minimum education requirements
- 5+ years payroll reporting analytics experience
- Certified Payroll Professional
- Payroll Federal and State Compliance Regulations
Preferred education experience and skills:
- Health care experience preferred
- System implementation or integration a plus
- Customer-service related position involving communicating laws, regulations, and policies
- As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
Salary / Pay Rate Information:
Pay Rate: $37.00 - $57.35 / hour
The estimated pay scale represents the typical [salary/hourly] range City of Hope reasonably expects to pay for this position, with offers determined based on several factors which may include, but not be limited to, the candidate’s experience, expertise, skills, education, job scope, training, internal equity, geography/market, etc. This pay scale is subject to change from time to time.
City of Hope is a community of people characterized by our diversity of thought, background and approach, but tied together by our commitment to care for and cure those with cancer and other life-threatening diseases. The innovation that our diversity produces in the areas of research, treatment, philanthropy and education has made us national leaders in this fight. Our unique and diverse workforce provides us the ability to understand our patients' needs, deliver compassionate care and continue the quest for a cure for life-threatening diseases. At City of Hope, diversity and inclusion is a core value at the heart of our mission. We strive to create an inclusive workplace environment that engages all of our employees and provides them with opportunities to develop and grow, both personally and professionally. Each day brings an opportunity to strengthen our work, leverage our different perspectives and improve our patients’ experiences by learning from others. Diversity and inclusion is about much more than policies and campaigns. It is an integral part of who we are as an institution, how we operate and how we see our future.