Research Assistant II - Infectious and inflammatory
San Diego, CA
Job posting number: #7120996 (Ref:spd-2341162)
Posted: January 12, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
A position is open for a Research Assistant II with potential for growth in the Molecular Immunology Laboratory in the Center for Infectious and Inflammatory Disease at the Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute. The laboratory’s research focuses on cytokine signaling pathways and their role in host response to viral pathogens, autoimmunity, and cancer. Projects in the lab include studies aimed to identify the mechanism used by coronaviruses to inactivate cytokine pathways critical for host defense and collaborative projects focused on developing therapeutics to harness the immune system to treat inflammatory disease.
A successful candidate will provide technical support to Senior Scientists in the lab working across all project areas. The candidate will be expected to perform a variety of biochemical, molecular and cell biological laboratory techniques including, but not limited to: cell-based assays, molecular cloning, PCR, tissue culture, flow cytometry, immuno assays.
Additionally, the candidate will be partly responsible for maintaining the lab’s mouse lines and will assist scientists in the lab with experimental in vivo animal models. This position offers opportunities for training in advanced technologies for career growth.
The Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is a world-renowned biomedical consortium with a variety of focus areas including inflammation, infection, and cancer.
Under general direction, the responsibilities of the research assistant II include:
• Working with laboratory scientist to plan and carry out project experiments and analyze results.
• Perform routine lab prep work and assays including preparation of common buffers and reagents and testing cell lines for mycoplasma.
• Providing technical support for projects led by laboratory scientists.
• Assisting with management of lab mouse colony, including setting up breeders, establishing new lines and genotyping.
• Assisting with lab organization and maintenance
• Data entry and use of laboratory software applications
Sanford Burnham Prebys is seeking an energetic and highly motivated individual who has/is:
• Willingness to work on a flexible schedule based on experimental requirements.
• Comfortable working with small animals in a laboratory setting.
• The ability to rapidly learn new research assays and process obtained data.
• The ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
• The ability to be responsible, organized, and a problem solver.
• Strong analytical, time management, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
• Excellent verbal/written communication and skills.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office
• Embody the Institute’s core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community and Compassion
• Previous laboratory experience with basic molecular and cellular biology, biochemistry or genetics is required..
• Experience working with rodent animal models preferred • Experience with molecular biology techniques including cloning, PCR, SDS-PAGE and Western blot
• Experience with mammalian tissue culture including cell lines and primary cells. Experience purifying and
culturing primary human lymphocytes a plus.
• Experience performing cellular assays such as luciferase assays.
• Experience with basic immunological techniques including flow cytometry and ELISA.
• Requires a B.A. or B.S. degree in a biological science, biochemistry or a related field or an equivalent
combination of education, training and experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been attained and a minimum of one year directly relatable experience.
The expected hiring range for this position is $16.30 - $26.45/hour, commensurate with experience.
Sanford Burnham Prebys is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE.