Senior DevOps Engineer
Job posting number: #7121192 (Ref:hh-61180BR)
Posted: January 15, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Harvard Medical School (HMS) is at the vanguard of biological and biomedical research, and scientific investigators at HMS and affiliate hospitals continue to push the envelope, developing novel approaches to the study of biological processes both at the bench and via computational methods. The HMS Department of Information Technology, a key partner in supporting such computation-based research, has an exciting opportunity for an experienced DevOps Engineer interested in empowering the school's computational research community by leading HPC, cloud, and lab-based research computing infrastructure design and support.
The Sr. DevOps Engineer will drive the design and implementation of modern, reusable, sustainable systems and configurations, using up-to-date best practices. In particular, the position will be responsible for policy-based provisioning of bare-metal-as-a-service, containerized solutions (Docker, Singularity), fully automated/Continuous Integration driven system configuration, and service reporting, monitoring, and trending. The engineer will also architect and manage cloud-based computing on platforms such as AWS or Azure, and hybrid cloud/HPC computing models, as they pertain to research computing workflows. In addition, they will lead large-scale system automation beyond the specific scope of HPC, using the latest DevOps technologies such as containers for application deployment and reproducibility, distributed storage and key-store systems, configuration management, and orchestration.
This position has a long-term focus, both within and outside of the direct context of DevOps, managing technologies and tools that serve as a stepping stone to future services of benefit to the greater HMS community, while maintaining the superior on-site response and expertise HMS researchers and faculty are accustomed to. The Sr. DevOps Engineer is responsible for modernizing and maintaining existing systems as well as acting as a mentor and resource for other team members.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop/build modern system deployment and management technologies, in line with the needs and goals of the school, research departments, labs, and partner organizations
- Evaluate existing systems and related data, proposing process improvements, including the use of cloud-based workflows where appropriate, leading to more sustainable support models for initiatives and ongoing systems implementations
- Gather requirements from and advise scientific investigators and data owners on optimal research computing systems design and implementation
- Ensure new data sources adhere to the school’s data definitions and standards, for ease of integration, security and confidentiality
- Partner with senior leadership to create policy in support of sustainable cloud, HPC, and lab-based research computing service offerings
- In support of robust role-based authorization practices, partner with HMS Information Security to develop, implement and manage policy regarding data and systems governance, retention, and security.
- Lead the implementation of Identity and Access Management tools for data and system security, and ensure appropriate security is maintained throughout the Research Computing infrastructure
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of five years’ post-secondary education or relevant work experience
- Work is performed in an office setting
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Development experience in Bash and at least two additional languages (Java, C, Python, Perl, Ruby, Go, etc.)
- Advanced *NIX/Linux system administration (Red Hat/Debian) experience
- Experience with automation and configuration management (Puppet)
- General Networking skills (OSI model, Layer 2 & 3 switching and routing, TCP/IP…)
- Knowledge of storage, network, and server hardware
- Experience evaluating and deploying open-source tools
- Cloud/AWS/Azure (EC2/EBS/S3/SES/EBS) experience
- Source management (git/mercurial/svn)
- Firm understanding of *NIX/Linux and application debugging
- SAN and NAS knowledge, including iSCSI, NFS, and FC (EMC / Isilon)
- Parallel file systems, Lustre, GPFS, OneFS, MooseFS
- System monitoring and configuration (Zabbix/Nagios/Ganglia/Sensu)
- Performance tuning and troubleshooting complex systems
- Relational and NoSQL databases
- Application load balancing solutions for scaling and HA
- Scientific research support experience
- Bioinformatics software experience
- Management of large data sets
- Medical Informatics or Healthcare data experience
- Protected data, HIPAA, PHI experience
- Familiarity with laboratory instrumentation; NGS, Microscopy, Mass Spectrometry, etc.
The University requires all Harvard community members to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and remain up to date with COVID-19 vaccine boosters, as detailed in Harvard’s Vaccine & Booster Requirements. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement, exemptions, and verification of vaccination status may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
Please note that we are currently conducting a majority of interviews and onboarding remotely and virtually. We appreciate your understanding.
Harvard University offers an outstanding benefits package including:
- Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, incredibly affordable classes directly at the Harvard Extension School, and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complementary health services.
- Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events, and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Not ready to apply? Join our talent community to keep in touch and learn about future opportunities!
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and BelongingWe are committed to cultivating an inclusive workplace culture of faculty, staff, and students with diverse backgrounds, styles, abilities, and motivations. We appreciate and leverage the capabilities, insights, and ideas of all individuals. Harvard Medical School Mission and Community Values
EEO StatementWe are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Harvard Medical School strives to cultivate an environment that promotes inclusiveness and collaboration among students, faculty and staff and to create new avenues for discussion that will advance our shared mission to improve the health of people throughout the world.