Job posting number: #7121194 (Ref:hh-61150BR)
Posted: January 15, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Splunk Engineer will perform data analysis and generate related reports, dashboards, and Splunk-based applications using Splunk Enterprise. A key responsibility involves working with the Security team to analyze Splunk data for incident responses and maintain compliance with security regulations and guidelines. This position is also responsible for developing and customizing Splunk apps and dashboards. The Splunk Engineer will build advanced visualizations within Splunk Enterprise for management and develop relationships across different disciplines and management levels to educate management and peers about Splunk data.
- Participate fully in the build, configuration, and documentation of IT infrastructure
- Ensure adherence to IT standards and service level objectives.
- Monitor and optimize IT infrastructure.
- Define and track performance metrics to ensure efficient use of IT resources
- Design and implement robust and secure IT solutions
- Identify opportunities to leverage technologies and improve processes/services and implement related
- Support and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders.
- Draw on relationship and technical skills to act as technical liaison and mentor junior staff
- Contribute to establishment of best practices
- Abide by and follow the Harvard University IT technical standards, policies, and Code of Conduct
- Minimum of five years’ post-secondary education or relevant work experience
- Occasionally required to work outside of normal business hours, and may be called during off hours
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Knowledge of configuration and design of IT infrastructure systems within an enterprise environment
- At least two years of demonstrated search, report, and dashboard development expertise using Splunk Enterprise
- Demonstrated understanding of information technology machine data sets (operating system/network infrastructure / middleware / application logs)
- Scripting, such as Python or other
- Must possess effective organizational, listening, verbal, and written communication skills
- Completion of Harvard IT Academy specified foundational courses (or external equivalent) preferred
Additional InformationThis position is based in Boston, but the work may be done fully or primarily remote. Any remote work must be performed in a state in which Harvard is registered to do business (CA*, CT, GA, IL, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, RI, VA, VT, and WA). Individual flexible and remote work options for this role will be discussed during the interview process. *Note: Harvard employees working in California must be exempt.
The University requires all Harvard community members to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and remain up to date with COVID-19 vaccine boosters, as detailed in Harvard’s Vaccine & Booster Requirements. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement, exemptions, and verification of vaccination status may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
Please note that we are currently conducting a majority of interviews and onboarding remotely and virtually. We appreciate your understanding.
Harvard University offers an outstanding benefits package including:
- Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, incredibly affordable classes directly at the Harvard Extension School, and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complementary health services.
- Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events, and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Not ready to apply? Join our talent community to keep in touch and learn about future opportunities!
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and BelongingWe are committed to cultivating an inclusive workplace culture of faculty, staff, and students with diverse backgrounds, styles, abilities, and motivations. We appreciate and leverage the capabilities, insights, and ideas of all individuals. Harvard Medical School Mission and Community Values
EEO StatementWe are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Harvard Medical School strives to cultivate an environment that promotes inclusiveness and collaboration among students, faculty and staff and to create new avenues for discussion that will advance our shared mission to improve the health of people throughout the world.