Data Warehouse Analyst Sr
Salt Lake City, UT
Job posting number: #7121335
Posted: January 16, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionJob Summary
The Data Warehouse Analyst position focuses on developing and supporting the Enterprise Data Warehouse and Extract, Transform and Load (ETL) processes to support analytical applications across our student, finance, human resources, and facilities/ancillary services environments. This position will be responsible for developing functional specifications to fulfill the data requirements for delivering comprehensive business intelligence solutions, data mart design, and reporting and analytics. Strong data modeling, SQL skills, and knowledge of 3rd party integrations is required.
Our team is temporarily using a hybrid remote/in-office model. We work in the office two days per week. This position is not eligible for 100% remote work.
This position is part of the University Information Technology (UIT) Data Management & Analytics team, which reports to the Deputy CIO.
• Supports customer data needs and requests, often involving maintaining large, complex data sets that meet business requirements.
• Participates in all phases of data warehouse implementation. Identifies pertinent issues and prepares comprehensive design specifications for database design, testing, conversion, and implementation.
• Translates and documents the results of requirements gathering into a standard format used to create the appropriate Business Intelligence (BI) solution.
• Maintains existing data pipelines and accommodate change data capture as required.
• Delivers data, often pulled using APIs.
• Analyzes user data to determine business rules and creates data models.
• Works with end users to gather reporting requirements.
• Implements and supports data sources for Business Objects/Tableau and other reporting applications.
• Develops strategies and updates the data warehouse in response to changes in reporting requirements.
• Applies industry standards to the technical architecture of a business intelligence solution, e.g., Stars, Cubes, and ETL, to solve business problems and increase business efficiency.
• Identifies and recommends methods to normalize and maintain data from disparate systems. Works with other UIT teams and external systems support staff to understand the source systems used for the warehouse.
• Collaborates and negotiates with users to identify and develop additional data sources for the data warehouse, consistent with business rules and customer needs.
• Coordinates with data warehouse architects to create and support the Business Intelligence environment. Identifies and works with appropriate staff to resolve technical issues.
• Conducts and attends team meetings. Communicates (verbally and in writing) team and project issues to appropriate staff and customers. Presents findings, recommendations, and specifications verbally and in writing.
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
• Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
• Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
• Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
• Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
Requires a bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, related field, or equivalency. Two years of related work experience may be substituted for one year of education. 4-6 years of experience in the field or in a related area.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
• Familiarity with various concepts, practices, and procedures related to data warehousing, business analytics, and ETL development.
Department Specific Qualifications
• Advanced knowledge of SQL, preferably Oracle.
• Experience using ETL development tools such as Informatica, Talend, ODI, etc.
• Knowledge of the University of Utah’s data requirements.
• Working experience integrating with 3rd party vendors using APIs.
• Good knowledge of maintaining ETL/ELT pipelines and optimization.
• Strong professional background in data modeling techniques and methodologies.
• Knowledge of relational database and advanced query concepts including Performance Tuning.
• Ability to analyze and develop business requirements and translate them into a data warehouse dimensional model.
• Ability to multitask and meet negotiated timelines.
• Skilled in explaining data warehouse operations to technical and non-technical users.
• Experience with Oracle database development, SQL, and relational database design.
• Professional higher education experience in one or more functional lines of business.
• Experience with Business Objects or other business intelligence software solutions.
Type Benefited Staff