Senior Systems Administrator
Job posting number: #7121786 (Ref:414713)
Posted: January 12, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The CELS Systems Group's primary mission is to operate a computing environment that facilitates the research that is being carried out within the divisions of the Computing, Environment, and Life Sciences directorate. We design, build, and maintain the computing environment, tackle problems, and work with the user community. We also research the advancement and optimization of Systems Administration, and develop tools to that end.
As a member of CELS Systems, you can expect to:
- Participate in the technical operation and support of the CELS directorate computing infrastructure and high performance computing (HPC) facilities in order to enhance the productivity of the scientific staff, administrative staff, and research colleagues.
- With technical staff and colleagues at other labs and universities, assists with the coordination of similar systems.
- Special emphasis of this position is to lead efforts in building and maintaining computing infrastructure supporting KBase (https://kbase.us) and other dedicated projects in Systems.
While this position supports remote work capability, on-site presence may be required periodically.
- Linux systems administration, networked file systems, configuration management software, and scripting/coding languages
Knowledge of the software development and deployment lifecycle
Knowledge of networking technologies such as TCP/IP and related protocols
- Knowledge of and experience in implementing and troubleshooting container orchestration technologies on premises, including Kubernetes and Rancher
- Knowledge of other virtualization and cloud technologies such as VMWare, Docker, Singularity, KVM, and AWS are beneficial, but not required
- Knowledge of the software development and deployment (CI/CD) lifecycle
Problem-solving and learning skills
Skills conducting problem triage and communicating with internal customers about potential solutions
Ability to use Python for automation and modifying Python based micro-services
Familiarity with the hardware and software of mass storage systems and technologies used such as RAID, iSCSI, Fibre Channel
Knowledge of how to compile software packages is beneficial
Knowledge of debugging and tracing tools, such as strace, ltrace, and ptrace
Strong interest in emerging technologies and applications, and an ability to apply them to the computing environment
Ability to model Argonne's core values: impact, safety, respect, impact and teamwork
To perform the essential functions of this position successful applicants must provide proof of U.S. citizenship, which is required to comply with federal regulations and contract.
This position can be hired at one of two levels, and the requirements for each are as follows:
- PT3: Bachelor's degree and 4 years+ of experience, or a Master's degree and 2+ years of experience, or equivalent
- PT4: Bachelor's degree and 6+ years of experience, or a Master's degree and 4+ years of experience, or equivalent
Job FamilyProfessional Technical (PT)
Job ProfileSystems Integration Admin/Support 3
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.