Lab Technician III - Histology, Full Time, Evenings
Job posting number: #7121981 (Ref:ccf17673912)
Posted: January 24, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
We are looking for a Laboratory Technician III to join our team of devoted caregivers. As a Laboratory Technician III, you will work in our ultramodern laboratory alongside pathologists, phlebotomists, technicians, and other caregivers. Your primary duties will include:
-Performing assigned analytical tests and procedures.
-Monitoring test analyses and specimen examinations.
-Performing histology and surgical pathology laboratory functions and phlebotomy.
-Resolving and providing consultation for any procedural or technical problems.
The Ideal future caregiver is someone who:
-Can multitask and make propper judgements in stressful situations.
-Shows strong critical thinking skills and comes prepared with a willingness to learn.
-Can make decisive judgement under minimal supervision.
-Has an Associate’s degree in medical technology or histotechnology from an accredited institution or equivalent coursework and eligibility from a recognized national certifying organization.
-Works well in a close-knit, team-building environment.
This is an excellent opportunity for those who are flexible and would like to advance their career growth opportunities within Cleveland Clinic.
Cleveland Clinic provides what matters most: career growth, delivering world-class care to our patients, continuous learning, exceptional benefits and working for an organization that offers many long-term career paths. Join us and experience a culture where opportunities to advance and the support to get there go hand-in-hand.
- Receives and accessions specimens into the LIS
- Conducts higher level accessioning in the LIS including esoteric testing
- Conducts advanced tracking investigations
- Serves as a subspecialty client liaison
- Responsible for advanced problem solving/issue resolution (pending log/SERS/block QA)
- The following duties are specific to Anatomic Pathology:
- Performs tasks involved with creating slides and/or cell blocks
- Performs frozen section processing (frozen section slide creation)
- Creates cell block slides
- Clinical histology tissue embedding
- Assists in cytology adequacy assessments
- Prepares specimens for analysis
- Performs manual processing (centrifuge, aliquoting and routine maintenance)
- Runs and resolves LIS logs
- Retrieves, sorts, tracks and delivers specimens.
- Performs logistic activities within and outside of lab
- Uses tracking software/devices
- Complies with safety, SOP & regulations
- Performs problem solving functions
- Maintains appropriate documentation.
- Performs basic clerical functions.
- Communicates and documents essential information.
- Maintains equipment and places work orders.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Associate’s degree required preferably in Science.
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry, physics or medical laboratory science preferred.
- None Required
Complexity of Work:
- Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
- Two years of lab processing experience required.
- A bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry, physics, or medical laboratory science can offset two years of experience.
- A total of 4 years of lab technician or comparable processing experience may offset the Associate degree requirement.
- Ability to perform specimen handling techniques and to take measurements.
- Ability to perform work in a stationary position for extended periods.
- Ability to move throughout the department and hospital system.
- Handles and transports bio hazardous materials and potential carcinogens.
- Ability to differentiate color, hue, saturation and tones.
- Ability to live/move up to 50 lbs.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective equipment as defined in the exposure control plan.
By embracing and understanding the diversity EVERY ONE brings, Cleveland Clinic has created an inclusive culture that promotes innovation, growth, and new ideas. This has enhanced our ability to attract the best global talent to provide the best patient experience possible. Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment/affirmative action employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities. Smoke/drug free environment.