Food Service Worker I
City of Hope
Job posting number: #7122112 (Ref:10019969)
Posted: March 2, 2023
Salary / Pay Rate: $20.40 - $24.48 / hour
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope’s translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope’s specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation’s “Best Hospitals” in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.
City of Hope’s commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.
The Food Service Worker may work anywhere on property where food is prepared. This person will assist in setup and serving of food from counters and steamtables. Duties will include cleaning and sanitizing equipment and work stations. May be responsible for maintaining kitchen work areas, equipment and utensils. The general responsibilities of the position include those listed below, but City of Hope may identify other responsibilities of the position
Key Responsibilities include:
- May assist in the preparation of hot and/or cold foods, and the proper storage of food, utilizing knowledge of temperature requirements and spoilage:
- Reads recipes and/or product directions.
- Estimates food requirements.
- Operates a variety of kitchen utensils to weigh, measure, mix, wash, peel, cut, grind, stir, strain, season and knead foodstuffs for cooking, serving and storing.
- May taste test products.
- Brews coffee and tea.
- May set up stations with entrées, soups, salads, breads, condiments, other food products and utensils:
- Serve and replenish food from counters and steam tables (sometimes using a conveyor food-belt) and break down stations at the end of meal periods.
- May interact with customers in the serving, retail and dining areas, assisting customers with opening containers and cutting food when requested.
- Provides general stocking duties in service area. Keeps records for supplies and equipment as needed. May be required to restock other beverage areas.
- Inspects workstations for compliance with service standards. Cleans and sanitizes work stations and equipment and must follow all City of Hope and regulatory rules and procedures.
- May be responsible for maintaining kitchen work areas, equipment and utensils:
- Washing dishes by hand or placing them in a dishwashing machine.
- Polishing silver and washing pots.
- Washing work tables, walls, refrigerators and meat blocks.
- Sweeping, moping, and cleaning/vacuuming floors.
- Cleaning equipment using specific chemicals to ensure sanitary standards.
- Removing trash and garbage to designated areas.
- Attends all allergy and foodborne illness in-service training. Participates in regular safety meetings, safety training and hazard assessments. Attends training programs (classroom and virtual) as designated.
- May work on a trayline to distribute food.
- Complies with all company safety and risk management policies and procedures and reports all accidents and injuries in a timely manner.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan.
Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- High School diploma, GED or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of basic operation of equipment and cash-handling procedures preferred.
- Part-Time, 4pm-9pm schedule
Part of a collective bargaining agreement
Salary / Pay Rate Information:
Pay Rate: $20.40 - $24.48 / hour
The estimated pay scale represents the typical [salary/hourly] range City of Hope reasonably expects to pay for this position, with offers determined based on several factors which may include, but not be limited to, the candidate’s experience, expertise, skills, education, job scope, training, internal equity, geography/market, etc. This pay scale is subject to change from time to time.
City of Hope is a community of people characterized by our diversity of thought, background and approach, but tied together by our commitment to care for and cure those with cancer and other life-threatening diseases. The innovation that our diversity produces in the areas of research, treatment, philanthropy and education has made us national leaders in this fight. Our unique and diverse workforce provides us the ability to understand our patients' needs, deliver compassionate care and continue the quest for a cure for life-threatening diseases. At City of Hope, diversity and inclusion is a core value at the heart of our mission. We strive to create an inclusive workplace environment that engages all of our employees and provides them with opportunities to develop and grow, both personally and professionally. Each day brings an opportunity to strengthen our work, leverage our different perspectives and improve our patients’ experiences by learning from others. Diversity and inclusion is about much more than policies and campaigns. It is an integral part of who we are as an institution, how we operate and how we see our future.